Show your Bird Portraits

Nat_WA

EOS 7D mk.II
Aug 15, 2017
Netherlands
Hey ISv, if that is your "plan B - if nothing else is around" - you're a lucky man :) .
You manage to come close enough to them to capture all the detail in the bird - and with a good choice of lighting / angle / composition!
Choosing the optimal composition in my country is often difficult - with all the fencing and signs to keep out... (a necessity b.t.w. in a country the size of a bath towel with more then 17 million people on it ;)).
Another grey heron in the same field, emerging from hiding in a ditch:
HVS-7173.jpg

Sun was coming through momentarily, diffused by some clouds
(7DmkII, 100-400L II @ 400mm f/5.6, ISO200)
W.

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
PLAN B! Well stated I'm mostly plan C with seldom B.

For those that may not know/care the National Geographic site is eliminating "Your Shot" (see my personal link). I/we are devastated and there is a petition that is being signed in case any here would add their names. Here is the link.

This is Disney taking over National Geographic so one can only assume there is worse coming.

Jack

AlanF

Canon 5DSR II
Aug 16, 2012
Alan, I think I'm on the very periphery of that black and just in the middle of the brown-red (or what ever color it is): I took the photos below when there was nothing else around. Be sure - any interesting bird popping suddenly nearby would completely take my attention from the scenes in these photos! I choose the Cattle Egret because it's my usual plan "B" in case of unfortunate days:cautious:! These birds are common here, white(!) and you just have to search for the proper angel/background/light/expression (could be in different order)... View attachment 187033View attachment 187031rby would View attachment 187032
They are all very interesting and nicely posed shots!

Last edited:
Reactions: ISv

SteveC

M50 & T6i
Sep 3, 2019
Here is a photo of a memorial to John Venn, the inventor of the Venn diagram for group classification, with some groups on it. You can choose whether you are in a single group, an overlapping pair of groups, or the triple overlap. And you can change your preference at any time.
View attachment 186987
Alan, I think I'm on the very periphery of that black and just in the middle of the brown-red (or what ever color it is): I took the photos below when there was nothing else around. Be sure - any interesting bird popping suddenly nearby would completely take my attention from the scenes in these photos! I choose the Cattle Egret because it's my usual plan "B" in case of unfortunate days:cautious:! These birds are common here, white(!) and you just have to search for the proper angel/background/light/expression (could be in different order)... View attachment 187033View attachment 187031rby would View attachment 187032
[/QUOTE]

Sometimes, you see a bird and the dinosaur ancestry peeks through; for me it did in that first photo for some reason.

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
Apr 30, 2017
Hey ISv, if that is your "plan B - if nothing else is around" - you're a lucky man :) .
You manage to come close enough to them to capture all the detail in the bird - and with a good choice of lighting / angle / composition!
Choosing the optimal composition in my country is often difficult - with all the fencing and signs to keep out... (a necessity b.t.w. in a country the size of a bath towel with more then 17 million people on it ;)).
Another grey heron in the same field, emerging from hiding in a ditch:
View attachment 187034
Sun was coming through momentarily, diffused by some clouds
(7DmkII, 100-400L II @ 400mm f/5.6, ISO200)
W.
Wiebe, these are all around here and in some places (like parks and beaches) they are something close to the House sparrow: they are used to be +/- close to people. This, and the kind of personality they use to display time to time makes them good "plan B" (when for example you didn't find your bird of interest or you are waiting - in hope - for it:)).
Anyway - good bird if you don't want to go home with empty memory card;)!

ERHP

EOS RP
May 9, 2013
San Diego
erhp.smugmug.com
Anytime you leave with at least one sequence you are happy with is a good day. Sitting in the mud tonight it was pretty quiet as the tide was still draining from the inlet and there was not much to keep the wildlife active. I had a group of Killdeer, a couple of Black Bellied Plovers, and some Western Sandpipers at various places but nothing super interesting until just before the sun set. A Greater Yellowlegs wandered up from behind, and fortunately for me, turned and caught a fish at a great angle for the remaining light.

1DX K II 600 f/4 II 1.4X III 1/500 : f/6.3 : ISO 1000 @840mm

ISv

Apr 30, 2017
Anytime you leave with at least one sequence you are happy with is a good day. Sitting in the mud tonight it was pretty quiet as the tide was still draining from the inlet and there was not much to keep the wildlife active. I had a group of Killdeer, a couple of Black Bellied Plovers, and some Western Sandpipers at various places but nothing super interesting until just before the sun set. A Greater Yellowlegs wandered up from behind, and fortunately for me, turned and caught a fish at a great angle for the remaining light.

Really nice!

Reactions: ERHP

ISv

Apr 30, 2017
OK! My response: we were few friends going to the beach today (one of us had a birthday!). Together with the rest (wife, children and so on...) rather big company. My particular goal was (because of the low tide at the hours we got there...) were the Wandering Tattler and eventually Night Heron fishing. Surprisingly for me we saw the Wandering Tattler just +/-5-8 minutes of the walk! And there were two Night Herons watching the water just ~70-100 yards away!
There are some days like this - you are just lucky and not just by single point. I got both my goals for a nothing of time - and was happy to enjoy the beer in the rest of the time:p!
DSC_4111_DxO.jpg
DSC_4113_DxO.jpg
DSC_4155_DxO.jpg

AlanF

Canon 5DSR II
Aug 16, 2012

Lovely light in general!

Reactions: ERHP

jmeyer

http://www.jmeyerphotography.net/
Dec 11, 2014
Wisconsin
www.jmeyerphotography.net
It's been awhile for me posting, I've been out every day after work since the end of August, chasing the fall warblers around. It is pretty much wrapped up now, even though yesterday I still had 11 warbler species, 4 of which were considered late. Fall warbler migration is extremely hard to photograph, compared to the spring, because of all the leaves and usually cloudy weather conditions. Then when you do get sun, it's nothing but shadows and terrible lighting. Anyway, here in Milwaukee, another fantastic warbler migration with 26 species in the last 5 weeks. All photos taken with 7D mkll / EF500 f4 / 1.4xlll. I will make two posts and list their names, for some of you unfamiliar with the species.

Jeremy

Blackpoll Warbler (1st fall)
Black-throated Green Warbler (1st fall)
Canada Warbler (male-1st fall)
Cape May Warbler (female-fall)
Chestnut-sided Warbler (1st fall)
Golden-winged Warbler (male-fall)
Mourning Warbler (female-1st fall)
Tennessee Warbler (female-fall)

Blackpoll Warbler (1st fall) 126.jpg
Black-throated Green Warbler (1st fall) 101.jpg
Canada Warbler (male-1st fall) 101.jpg
Cape May Warbler (female-fall) 104.jpg
Chestnut-sided Warbler (1st fall) 108.jpg
Golden-winged Warbler (male-fall) 102.jpg
Mourning Warbler (female-1st fall) 100.jpg
Tennessee Warbler (female-fall) 102.jpg

Last edited:

jmeyer

http://www.jmeyerphotography.net/
Dec 11, 2014
Wisconsin
www.jmeyerphotography.net
Here are a few more. All taken with 7D mkll / EF500 f4 / 1.4xlll.

Jeremy

American Redstart (female-fall)
Black-and-white Warbler (1st fall)
Common Yellowthroat (female-1st fall)
Golden-winged Warbler (1st fall)
Magnolia Warbler (1st fall)
Magnolia Warbler (female-fall)
Nashville Warbler (1st fall)
Ovenbird (1st fall)
Wilson's Warbler (1st fall)
Wilson's Warbler (male-fall)

American Redstart (female-fall) 106.jpg
Black-and-white Warbler (1st fall) 109.jpg
Common Yellowthroat (female-1st fall) 106.jpg
Golden-winged Warbler (1st fall) 104.jpg
Magnolia Warbler (1st fall) 130.jpg
Magnolia Warbler (female-fall) 101.jpg
Nashville Warbler (1st fall) 110.jpg
Ovenbird (1st fall) 108.jpg
Wilson's Warbler (1st fall) 110.jpg
Wilson's Warbler (male-fall) 100.jpg

jprusa

EOS RP
Apr 29, 2013
j Here are a few more. All taken with 7D mkll / EF500 f4 / 1.4xlll. Jeremy American Redstart (female-fall) Black-and-white Warbler (1st fall) Common Yellowthroat (female-1st fall) Golden-winged Warbler (1st fall) Magnolia Warbler (1st fall) Magnolia Warbler (female-fall) Nashville Warbler (1st fall) Ovenbird (1st fall) Wilson's Warbler (1st fall) Wilson's Warbler (male-fall) [ATTACH type="full" alt="American Redstart (female-fall) 106.jpg said:
Beautiful shots , I was in Cherokee NC looking for warblers and the leaves were very annoying .

ISv

Apr 30, 2017
Here are a few more. All taken with 7D mkll / EF500 f4 / 1.4xlll.

Jeremy

American Redstart (female-fall)
Black-and-white Warbler (1st fall)
Common Yellowthroat (female-1st fall)
Golden-winged Warbler (1st fall)
Magnolia Warbler (1st fall)
Magnolia Warbler (female-fall)
Nashville Warbler (1st fall)
Ovenbird (1st fall)
Wilson's Warbler (1st fall)
Wilson's Warbler (male-fall)

View attachment 187079View attachment 187080View attachment 187081View attachment 187082View attachment 187083View attachment 187084View attachment 187085View attachment 187086View attachment 187087View attachment 187088
Beautiful birds Jeremy! And as usually a lot of great shots - I believe you had a lot of fun!

Reactions: Jack Douglas