Show your Bird Portraits

MalingJemuran said:
Bar-winged Prinia(Prinia familiaris)
60D, 70-300mm L - 1/320 f5.6, 300mm, ISO 320

IMG_3648cropped by sleon_falconity, on Flickr

Very interesting. That bird looks almost identical to the Western Kingbirds we have here in the US. I think the Prinia has a lighter throat than the Kingbird, but outside of that...they are extremely similar. I'm curious....how big is the Prinia? A Kingbird (western or eastern) is just slightly smaller than an American Robin...I wonder if a Prinia is similar in size.

Upvote 0
MalingJemuran said:
jrista said:
I'm curious....how big is the Prinia? A Kingbird (western or eastern) is just slightly smaller than an American Robin...I wonder if a Prinia is similar in size.
Approximately 12 to 14 centimetre. I never see a Kingbird or American Robin but i think Kingbird is bigger than Prinia. :)

Aye, Western Kingbird is larger...20-24cm, so almost twice as large. Interesting though, despite that, they almost look identical! :)

Upvote 0
Rienzphotoz said:
Red-whiskered Bulbul (Pycnonotus jocosus) that visited our garden yesterday for just a few seconds, luckily I had the camera in hand.

Really nice shot of a beautiful bird. We have bulbuls here but they look somewhat different. Thanks for sharing. :)

edit: Here is what they look like in Hawaii.

Attachments

• IMG_5631-dpp-c.jpg
    IMG_5631-dpp-c.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 499
Upvote 0
Was sitting in my yard 2 days ago with my 7D and 100-400mmL, when a cardinal landed near me on our fence. I thought he wanted bread crumbs (I had none). Then he landed not too far from my feet and grabbed a large beetle. I looked up and his mate was intensely watching from the chain link fence. When he took off with his prize, she followed for what I'm sure was a shared meal.

Attachments

• IMG_6768-dpp-c_2.jpg
    IMG_6768-dpp-c_2.jpg
    526.3 KB · Views: 477
  • IMG_6774-dpp-c_2.jpg
    IMG_6774-dpp-c_2.jpg
    833.3 KB · Views: 493
  • IMG_6779-dpp-c_2.jpg
    IMG_6779-dpp-c_2.jpg
    671.1 KB · Views: 507
Upvote 0

Krob78

When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
Aug 8, 2012
The Florida Peninsula
Rienzphotoz said:
Red-whiskered Bulbul (Pycnonotus jocosus) that visited our garden yesterday for just a few seconds, luckily I had the camera in hand.
Rienz, I'd say lucky is right! Right place, right time! Great looking bird, I've never seen one of them before, thanks for posting! :D

Upvote 0

Krob78

Aug 8, 2012
The Florida Peninsula
Very nice Serendipity! I wish we had some bulbuls here! They almost seem like a cross between a cardinal and a wax wing.. Beautiful!
serendipidy said:
Rienzphotoz said:

Really nice shot of a beautiful bird. We have bulbuls here but they look somewhat different. Thanks for sharing. :)

Upvote 0

Krob78

Aug 8, 2012
The Florida Peninsula
IslanderMV said:
Black Skimmer - Martha's Vineyard
Had to dodge security guards ( yes, security guards on the BEACH !) and hike to a remote spot were this cool bird flew back and forth practically begging to have its picture taken.

60D and 100-400mm - 1/1250 f8, 400mm, ISO 320
Great image Islander! I can't wait to get back up to the Cape!

Upvote 0

rpt

Mar 7, 2012
India
Krob78 said:
Very nice Serendipity! I wish we had some bulbuls here! They almost seem like a cross between a cardinal and a wax wing.. Beautiful!
serendipidy said:
Rienzphotoz said:

Huh! Never thought of them like that! So when the rain abates and the clouds part (not the sea!!!) hopefully they will return to my garden...

Upvote 0

Krob78

Aug 8, 2012
The Florida Peninsula
rpt said:
Krob78 said:
serendipidy said:
Rienzphotoz said:

Huh! Never thought of them like that! So when the rain abates and the clouds part (not the sea!!!) hopefully they will return to my garden...
Unless I move, I fear they will never be in my garden! Looking again, perhaps they are even a Cardinal, Waxwing, Small Woodpeckerish looking creature... I do like them... :)

Upvote 0

rpt

Mar 7, 2012
India
Krob78 said:
rpt said:
Krob78 said:
serendipidy said:
Rienzphotoz said:

Unless I move, I fear they will never be in my garden! Looking again, perhaps they are even a Cardinal, Waxwing, Small Woodpeckerish looking creature... I do like them... :)
Nope, bulbuls. Very different. Look at the beak.

252px-Red-whiskered_Bulbul-web.jpg

From Wikipedia

Upvote 0

Krob78

Aug 8, 2012
The Florida Peninsula
rpt said:
Krob78 said:
rpt said:
Krob78 said:
serendipidy said:
Rienzphotoz said:

From Wikipedia
Yes, agreed about the beak. I almost didn't comment on it because of the beak but the facial markings are somewhat woodpeckerish, no? It's a great bird, I wish we had them here!

Upvote 0

rpt

Mar 7, 2012
India
Krob78 said:
rpt said:
Krob78 said:
rpt said:
Krob78 said:
serendipidy said:
Rienzphotoz said:

From Wikipedia
Yes, agreed about the beak. I almost didn't comment on it because of the beak but the facial markings are somewhat woodpeckerish, no? It's a great bird, I wish we had them here!
True, but they don't peck wood here in India. I guess their food is in abundance outside tree trunks. They need to pick the worms out of the dirt. Hence long beaks. Cardinals seem to have beaks that are used to break seeds. Think about it - if you were a worm and the climate was dry, where would you go? To a place that was damp. So inside a trunk makes sense. Now somebody posted a picture of a woodpecker listening to sounds in a tree trunk. Sure, that is human imagination, but I am sure the bird could hear the worms.

:)

OK, so replace "I am sure" with "I believe" :)

Upvote 0

Krob78

Aug 8, 2012
The Florida Peninsula
rpt said:
Krob78 said:
rpt said:
Krob78 said:
rpt said:
Krob78 said:
serendipidy said:
Rienzphotoz said:

From Wikipedia
True, but they don't peck wood here in India. I guess their food is in abundance outside tree trunks. They need to pick the worms out of the dirt. Hence long beaks. Cardinals seem to have beaks that are used to break seeds. Think about it - if you were a worm and the climate was dry, where would you go? To a place that was damp. So inside a trunk makes sense. Now somebody posted a picture of a woodpecker listening to sounds in a tree trunk. Sure, that is human imagination, but I am sure the bird could hear the worms.

Agreed! Interestingly enough, Serendipity posted an image of a Cardinal eating a bug! I thought they were strictly seed eaters.. I think perhaps more birds are omnivores than I once thought!

Upvote 0

rpt

Mar 7, 2012
India
Krob78 said:
rpt said:
Krob78 said:
rpt said:
Krob78 said:
rpt said:
Krob78 said:
serendipidy said:
Rienzphotoz said:

From Wikipedia

Agreed! Interestingly enough, Serendipity posted an image of a Cardinal eating a bug! I thought they were strictly seed eaters.. I think perhaps more birds are omnivores than I once thought!
That entirely depends on what you consider to be a vegetarian diet ;)

Upvote 0

Krob78

Aug 8, 2012
The Florida Peninsula
rpt said:
Krob78 said:
rpt said:
Krob78 said:
rpt said:
Krob78 said:
rpt said:
Krob78 said:
serendipidy said:
Rienzphotoz said:

From Wikipedia

That entirely depends on what you consider to be a vegetarian diet ;)
Indeed! :)

Upvote 0