Show your Bird Portraits

That is quite a close-up of that African Hawk-Eagle! How did you get that close?

I´m a bit envious to all of you with large spectacular birds to shoot. I only have my small and jumpy friends to shoot these days. But they are charming small creatures and I really enjoy having them around the house.

1DX, 840mm, f5.6, ISO4000

Attachments

• _D7T2958.jpg
    _D7T2958.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 147
Upvote 0
16217389062_f16fa97521_b.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/92414546@N04/16217389062/

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Love the recent shots guys. I never tire of chickadees. Eldar my sympathies and to prove I mean it here's another Pileated shot, all I get except for Downy, chickadees and nuthatches with the odd grosbeak thrown in.

He never stays still either, with that head constantly darting every direction.

Jack

Attachments

• Big Daddy_23877.JPG
    Big Daddy_23877.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 107
Upvote 0
Now, Jack, I'm really jealous! Envious of a great shot of the pileated. Fantastic!
-r

Jack Douglas said:
Love the recent shots guys. I never tire of chickadees. Eldar my sympathies and to prove I mean it here's another Pileated shot, all I get except for Downy, chickadees and nuthatches with the odd grosbeak thrown in.

He never stays still either, with that head constantly darting every direction.

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Let's see. I'll trade my Pileated for a Snowy. These guys are showing up regularly whereas a year ago I never imagined I'd even get a distant shot.

Joking, before Christmas I said to my bachelor friend he should cook a turkey and give me the carcass to hang in the trees and sure enough he did. I'm about to do that and am wondering what besides magpies/crows it might attract here in Alberta, Canada. Not a turkey vulture that's for sure! ;) I know some folk won't like this idea, but hey, I'm not a national park. :-[

I can just imagine the bird conversation when that goes up.

Jack

Attachments

• buddies_23856.JPG
    buddies_23856.JPG
    723.6 KB · Views: 127
Upvote 0
Jack,
We used to have pileated in my back yard a few years back. It can demolish 3 feet of wood in 1/2 hour.
I routinely hear them nearby squawking, just won't come to where I can shoot it (photographically, of course), but I did see one fly across the road this morning near the neighbor's house while I was walking the dogs this morning in 0F temperature.
Hope you get more of them!
-r

Upvote 0