Show your Bird Portraits

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
Dylan777 said:
candyman said:
The hawfinch (Coccothraustes coccothraustes)

I like the feeling from this photo. Great capture candyman.

Looks like you enjoying your 100-400 mrk II :)
Thanks. Yes indeed. The 100-400 II is a great lens. I used to own the 70-300L but sold it for more reach. Plus, I can use my 1.4x (used it for my 70-200 f/2.8 IS II)

In coming weeks I plan to shoot some foxes and common snipes among other water birds. I will do that by laying on the ground. For that I use this combination of gear. It will be the first time with this combination... so I am curious how I will manage. And, of course I will post some results.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
candyman said:
Dylan777 said:
candyman said:
The hawfinch (Coccothraustes coccothraustes)

I like the feeling from this photo. Great capture candyman.

Looks like you enjoying your 100-400 mrk II :)

Thanks. Yes indeed. The 100-400 II is a great lens. I used to own the 70-300L but sold it for more reach. Plus, I can use my 1.4x (used it for my 70-200 f/2.8 IS II)

In coming weeks I plan to shoot some foxes and common snipes among other water birds. I will do that by laying on the ground. For that I use this combination of gear. It will be the first time with this combination... so I am curious how I will manage. And, of course I will post some results.

I'll now be following your lead in experimenting with a low lying version of what you've created. I like it's portability and ease of moving it around. Hope you take that as a complement! ;) You may not have seen my previous posting of my tree pod. The disadvantage is that it takes a minute or two to set it up or pull it off and of course a substantial tree is needed.

Hope you don't end up with a pain in the neck. :) Do you use some sort of cradle to hold your chest up such as hunters use?

Jack

Attachments

• TreePod_6D_420.JPG
    TreePod_6D_420.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 112
Upvote 0

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
<snip> <snip>

Jack Douglas said:
I'll now be following your lead in experimenting with a low lying version of what you've created. I like it's portability and ease of moving it around. Hope you take that as a complement! ;) You may not have seen my previous posting of my tree pod. The disadvantage is that it takes a minute or two to set it up or pull it off and of course a substantial tree is needed.

Hope you don't end up with a pain in the neck. :) Do you use some sort of cradle to hold your chest up such as hunters use?

Jack

The setup on the tree is a real interesting setup! And, you created it yourself. I have to disappoint you. I bought mine. But, yes it looks like a frying pan. I guess you can make it yourself. But you see....the connection platform that holds the gimbal is really solid. I am not sure if I would succeed myself creating such stable/solid solution.

It can be a problem laying for hours if you're not used to it. I practiced a few times. I remember my army days. Laying down in a shooting position. It is similar. But you're right. Mostly tension on the neck, elbows and lowerpart of the chest. So chest and elbows I will use support with clothing. The neck....practice, practice, practice....unless someone has a tip!

Upvote 0
KZx7MQC.png

Shot at 336mm F5.6 ISO 80 (on tripod).
That's about the best I could do with my cheap SX130IS.

I just sold that camera and got a used 20D + 50mm F1.8 lens, so the only birds I'll be shooting with that are swans at close range ;)

Upvote 0
Some interesting concepts to be sure. I've been looking at the beanbags for when I'm prone on the granite boulders in the mountains or the rocks along the river. Most of the time I can contort the TVC-34L tripod and get it where it needs to go but any real shift in position usually means repositioning everything. And I have gotten spoiled on the Wimberley's smooth pan/tilt, lol.

This Pacific Sloped Flycatcher kept me company off and on last Sunday at a small watering hole in the Cuyamaca State Park.
C10903-X3.jpg

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Here's an idea I have for an alternate tripod - a tripod style stool with one of the legs extended up with a stud for a ball head or gimbal. Anyone seen/heard of such a thing? Me thinks it could be very useful and light. And dangerous if you have to quickly exit your stool while a heavy lens is attached. ;)

Jack

Attachments

• Stool_9416.JPG
    Stool_9416.JPG
    726.2 KB · Views: 109
Upvote 0