Show your Bird Portraits

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Thanks click, when a "new" bird shows up, since there aren't many it's like a shot of adrenaline! Trouble is, sometimes they never return within the time frame I devote to watching for them!!

This guy ventured to my observatory feeder and was standing crunching seeds 8" from my nose when a Downy landed on the edge and made aggressive gestures at him for a couple seconds frightening him away (I wish I could have gotten a shot through the one way mirror onto the feeder because it was so cute). :)

Recently, I've learned a lot more about what magpies eat, including seeds and berries and well ....... everything really! ;)

Jack

Attachments

• Magpie_30427.JPG
    Magpie_30427.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 110
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Jack.
Lovely shot of the pileated woodpecker, the background is fine until you get to the bright splodge lower left, that does spoil the background a bit, but then the subject is so very good who saw the background until you asked! ;D

Cheers, Graham.

Edit, I obviously didn't as I missed another bright spot!
It is only when we control all aspects of the shot that we get to choose the background, when you control the woodpecker with any certainty I'd like you to teach me.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Valvebounce, thanks for that. Now that it's a new day and I see it as posted, what I thought might be positive is too distracting. Initially in my mind I thought it might be helping the WP to stand out but he was not that well lit. We are now having a rather low arc to the sun and my ideas for shots from the summer are now proving to be unworkable. Buying a second 600EX-RT used tomorrow for shooting during the deepest part of winter - brrr - winter in Canada just around the corner.

Some models just never cooperate but if you're around them enough at least they lose some of their shyness! ;)

Jack

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Jack.
I still think it is a very good picture, the woody looks well enough lit to me and I'd love to get that shot.

Cheers, Graham.

Jack Douglas said:
Valvebounce, thanks for that. Now that it's a new day and I see it as posted, what I thought might be positive is too distracting. Initially in my mind I thought it might be helping the WP to stand out but he was not that well lit. We are now having a rather low arc to the sun and my ideas for shots from the summer are now proving to be unworkable. Buying a second 600EX-RT used tomorrow for shooting during the deepest part of winter - brrr - winter in Canada just around the corner.

Some models just never cooperate but if you're around them enough at least they lose some of their shyness! ;)

Jack

Upvote 0