Show your Bird Portraits

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Jack.
You could be right, having seen the way they (a group of them) will harass birds of prey in flight but a lone bird over a perch?

Cheers, Graham.

Jack Douglas said:
I think I have a different take after watching these guys in Haida Gwaii. It's crow or raven saying "you think you're a big shot - we'll see who gets off this roof!" ;) Of course I could be wrong given I wasn't there!! ;)

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Isaac Grant, nice, and at least it's not our common sparrow - the English sparrow, well actually I guess House sparrow - not cute, and dirty and plentiful. LOL

Here is the one and only pair I ever bothered to photograph. ;)

Jack

Attachments

• HouseSparrow_F_nest_building_4910.JPG
    HouseSparrow_F_nest_building_4910.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 153
  • HouseSparrow_M_4899.JPG
    HouseSparrow_M_4899.JPG
    1,023.2 KB · Views: 139
Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2013
Cuteness is in the eye of the beholder. I rather like the lowly house sparrow as an urban bird. Plus, they give the urban peregrine falcons some variety in the urban-bird diet (mostly pigeons and mourning doves).

Birders from across the country stop by St. Louis to view this sparrow's relative, the Eurasian tree sparrow, which has a North American distribution of maybe 10 x 50 miles along the Mississippi River from St. Louis northwards. It is the not-so-successful invasive species brought over by homesick immigrants. The two species are very similar in appearance and very different in behavior, the Eurasian sparrow being very gregarious while the house sparrow is somewhat of a loner.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
steven kessel said:
Red Tail's Brunch. We sometimes get so caught up in admiring the beauty of these birds that we forget that they need to kill something virtually every day of their lives in order to survive.

5Diii, 400 DO, aperture preferred setting, ISO 500, f6.3 @ 1/1600

Now, that is cute! ;)

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
NancyP said:
Cuteness is in the eye of the beholder. I rather like the lowly house sparrow as an urban bird. Plus, they give the urban peregrine falcons some variety in the urban-bird diet (mostly pigeons and mourning doves).

Birders from across the country stop by St. Louis to view this sparrow's relative, the Eurasian tree sparrow, which has a North American distribution of maybe 10 x 50 miles along the Mississippi River from St. Louis northwards. It is the not-so-successful invasive species brought over by homesick immigrants. The two species are very similar in appearance and very different in behavior, the Eurasian sparrow being very gregarious while the house sparrow is somewhat of a loner.

Thanks for that Nancy. While I never cared for the dirty mess they created my more significant dislike was when my first budgie began imitating that awful cheap, cheap, cheap!! :mad: However, I don't really "hate" them! ;)

Jack

Upvote 0
A common one, even by the name, but one that rarely sits still. Common Yellowthroat.
TRVFS1905-X2.jpg

Upvote 0