Show your Bird Portraits

Northbird

"Be a rainbow in somebody else's cloud" - Maya A.
ERHP said:
A common one, even by the name, but one that rarely sits still. Common Yellowthroat.
TRVFS1905-X2.jpg

Nice light and good detail, what gear did you use?

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Question for anyone familiar with the use of the 600EX-RT or similar. There obviously is some flash activity that precedes the actual flash since I have photos of birds that are displaying a reaction. I've heard this referred to as pre-flash. I was shooting Manual, both camera and two 600's radio linked, and it happened. Here is one shot ruined by it. Is this what Canon refers to as AF- Assist beam, CFn-08? What negative comes with shutting it off?

I was shooting fill initially but the birds persisted until it was pretty dark. Even in daylight they seemed to react, at least the little guys.

Jack

Attachments

• Redpoll_31055.JPG
    Redpoll_31055.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 101
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Jack Douglas said:
Question for anyone familiar with the use of the 600EX-RT or similar. There obviously is some flash activity that precedes the actual flash since I have photos of birds that are displaying a reaction. I've heard this referred to as pre-flash. I was shooting Manual, both camera and two 600's radio linked, and it happened. Here is one shot ruined by it. Is this what Canon refers to as AF- Assist beam, CFn-08? What negative comes with shutting it off?

I was shooting fill initially but the birds persisted until it was pretty dark. Even in daylight they seemed to react, at least the little guys.

Jack

The AF assist beam comes from the red panel below the main flash head, turning it off makes no difference if you are in reasonable light, in darker situations the AF assist light, which is a red pattern, will not come on and you might fail to achieve focus. In Radio mode the 600EX only transmits pre flashes in ETTL, if you are in Manual flash mode there is no preflash.

In optical mode there are always preflashes, even in Manual settings.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Thanks click. privatebydesign, thanks for that feedback. Kind of what I suspected but I am positive the birds can't react fast enough relative to the actual flash and I am getting reaction. Here is another with wing motion the moment I pressed the shutter. And I am in manual mode with each flash (just turned each one on to verify) and with the 6D (in this case). I was controlling the output and flash angle using the 6D since neither flash is within reach (corded to camera). Optical is shut off in the optional menu and I was using HSS with I believe 1/640th sec and RF to the slave. 70-200 2.8 X1.4.

Any further thoughts, anyone?

Jack

Attachments

• Startled_31049.JPG
    Startled_31049.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 111
Upvote 0
Northbird said:
ERHP said:
A common one, even by the name, but one that rarely sits still. Common Yellowthroat.

Thanks Click, Northbird, Valvebounce and Jack!

This was with the 1DX/600 II/1.4TC III on a gimbaled tripod sitting in the mud. 1/2500 : f/8 : 1000 ISO @840mm.

Upvote 0
ERHP said:
Northbird said:
ERHP said:

Thanks Click, Northbird, Valvebounce and Jack!

This was with the 1DX/600 II/1.4TC III on a gimbaled tripod sitting in the mud. 1/2500 : f/8 : 1000 ISO @840mm.
I need to jump in to the high praise about this shot. Theyellowthroat may be common but the picture quality certainly is not. A stunning shot. Sharp, amazing details and colors and to be on that little stone in the water is the icing on the cake. Just wow!!!

Upvote 0
Hello Jack

Are Cranes from Eastern Europe, to spend winter in Italy

Another day in wet lands ... in a winter very dry (for now) and a little cold

Attachments

• Immagine 011mod.jpg
    Immagine 011mod.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 128
  • Immagine 014mod.jpg
    Immagine 014mod.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 120
  • Immagine 043mod.jpg