Show your Bird Portraits

Eldar said:
First bird portrait from the 1DX-II. Should have been something spectacular, but ended up with a house sparrow ...

600mm f4L IS II + 1.4xIII, handheld

Hi Eldar,

How do you find the exposure with the 1DX2? I always seem to add 2/3rds of a stop compensation with my 5D3 (and 40D before it). I'm sure I read somewhere that Canon metering tends to underexpose slightly by default.

Any thoughts?

Upvote 0
GuyF said:
Eldar said:
First bird portrait from the 1DX-II. Should have been something spectacular, but ended up with a house sparrow ...

600mm f4L IS II + 1.4xIII, handheld

Hi Eldar,

How do you find the exposure with the 1DX2? I always seem to add 2/3rds of a stop compensation with my 5D3 (and 40D before it). I'm sure I read somewhere that Canon metering tends to underexpose slightly by default.

Any thoughts?
I am still early on the learning curve, so it is difficult to be conclusive. However, going through the limited number of shots I have so far, a number of them are a bit dark, but the majority is fine. I´ll shoot some more and report back later.

Upvote 0

2n10

CR Pro
Aug 25, 2012
Sparks, NV
yragkeem said:
Had this sharp shinned hawk visit today and unfortunately for the downy woodpecker that had been visiting our feeder regularly, it became the hawks' supper. Amazingly, the hawk ate the whole bird - feathers, legs, and everything.

Beautiful shots and welcome.

You have a Merlin there though not a Sharp-shinned Hawk.

Upvote 0
2n10 said:
yragkeem said:
Had this sharp shinned hawk visit today and unfortunately for the downy woodpecker that had been visiting our feeder regularly, it became the hawks' supper. Amazingly, the hawk ate the whole bird - feathers, legs, and everything.

Beautiful shots and welcome.

You have a Merlin there though not a Sharp-shinned Hawk.

Thanks for viewing and the correction on bird ID.

Upvote 0