Show your Bird Portraits

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Thanks, Ryananthony. If you lived here you'd know it's pretty ho hum since they come to visit and I don't even have to chase after them. They are relatively tame (almost like the Downy) and large so not too challenging. My plan is to start to try for some BIF of them with 800.

I guess each of us has some bird that others don't. I seldom see a hawk around here, for example.

Jack

Upvote 0
Jack Douglas said:
Thanks, Ryananthony. If you lived here you'd know it's pretty ho hum since they come to visit and I don't even have to chase after them. They are relatively tame (almost like the Downy) and large so not too challenging. My plan is to start to try for some BIF of them with 800.

I guess each of us has some bird that others don't. I seldom see a hawk around here, for example.

Jack

I still have not seen a fox in real life ever. I dream of it.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
nats1mom, nice bittern!

Ryananthony I'd seen very few foxes and then I guess a pair decided to raise a family somewhere near me and then I got to see them almost daily. Did you see this shot?

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=12203.msg607806#msg607806 - Alberta's wild dogs.

OK, better still, here in the bird thread is a fox for Ryan. ;) I was too far away, unfortunately.

Jack

Attachments

• Foxes5.JPG
    Foxes5.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 96
Upvote 0
Jack Douglas said:
nats1mom, nice bittern!

Ryananthony I'd seen very few foxes and then I guess a pair decided to raise a family somewhere near me and then I got to see them almost daily. Did you see this shot?

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=12203.msg607806#msg607806 - Alberta's wild dogs.

OK, better still, here in the bird thread is a fox for Ryan. ;) I was too far away, unfortunately.

Jack

Thank you very much Jack!!

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Eldar, I can sure see how the extra pixels can be addictive. One quickly gravitates towards enlarging photos to look at details that may not even be evident in real life and that's what I find myself doing when it's possible. However, that's in a different realm than simply enjoying a photo at its intended size for its subject matter, composition, accuracy, sharpness etc.

Just me thinking out loud relative to the tough choice I made on what would be my single general purpose camera. Like AlanF, another camera may eventually find its way into my wife's hands. ;) Or not! I am thrilled with my new camera and lens though, a real pleasure to use.

Really enjoy seeing your photos.

Jack

Upvote 0
Jack Douglas said:
auditom, very nice shots. That 200 is serving you well.

Jack

The image quality off the 1DXII and 200mm 2,8L is lightyears ahead to the 7DII with the same lens.
One criterion is that the smaller pixel pitch the 7DII is less forgiving when it comes to lens aberrations .
I've got a lot off lenses with older design like the 50mm Compact Macro, 85mm 1,8, 135mm 2,0L and the aforementioned 200mm 2,8L. I've no complaints when i'm using these lenses with my full frame bodies
1DSIII and 1DXII :) The 7DII is another story :(

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
auditom said:
Jack Douglas said:

Jack

The image quality off the 1DXII and 200mm 2,8L is lightyears ahead to the 7DII with the same lens.
One criterion is that the smaller pixel pitch the 7DII is less forgiving when it comes to lens aberrations .
I've got a lot off lenses with older design like the 50mm Compact Macro, 85mm 1,8, 135mm 2,0L and the aforementioned 200mm 2,8L. I've no complaints when i'm using these lenses with my full frame bodies

I had been tempted by the 7DII but never pulled the trigger due to wanting some 1 series features. There seem to be two camps regarding that camera, with some very high level bird photographers loving it for reach. I've been wondering about recommending it to my daughter who wants to upgrade from her Nikon D5100 and 70-300 to Canon (I think that's because of daddy's glass ;)) Funny how polarizing the camera seems to have been.

Jack

Upvote 0
Jack Douglas said:
auditom said:
Jack Douglas said:

Jack

I had been tempted by the 7DII but never pulled the trigger due to wanting some 1 series features. There seem to be two camps regarding that camera, with some very high level bird photographers loving it for reach. I've been wondering about recommending it to my daughter who wants to upgrade from her Nikon D5100 and 70-300 to Canon (I think that's because of daddy's glass ;)) Funny how polarizing the camera seems to have been.

Jack

My daughter already got my 7DII. We're intending to buy the venerable 100-400 MII.
This might be the perfect combo when it comes to reach and IQ ;)

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
AlanF said:
Jack Douglas said:
Took a small break in the late sun today to fool with the 1DX II.

Junco 1/1000 F9 ISO 1600 400 DO II X2 III Roughly 1/4 of the frame.

Jack

Jack
Congrats on your first shots "in anger"! How did you process the image? I am using RAW in DPP with generally fine picture settings for sharpening of 4,1,1 and for noise reduction 4,4. I'll go back to DxO probably when they upgrade it to take the 5DIV. I find DPP sharper but noisier. It doesn't look any noisier than your image though. How fast did the 800m focus when switching from close up to far distance?
Alan

ps, what's the noise like compared with your 6D?

Probably better posted in another thread but I'm guessing all viewers in this thread would be interested in how DPP handles noise and sharpening so here is a shot from my 6D greatly enlarged, ISO 5000, no NR, showing how important threshold is when applying masked sharpening. I took the extreme sharpening of 10 to illustrate. I use #3 for strength and find that threshold #3+,- is where noise really is affected significantly.

Jack

Attachments

• LeavesS10F10T0_4647.JPG
    LeavesS10F10T0_4647.JPG
    977.8 KB · Views: 83
  • LeavesS10F10T1_4647.JPG
    LeavesS10F10T1_4647.JPG
    909.6 KB · Views: 80
  • LeavesS10F10T3_4647.JPG
    LeavesS10F10T3_4647.JPG
    799.7 KB · Views: 89
  • LeavesS10F10T5_4647.JPG