Show your Bird Portraits

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi DominoDude.
Great shots, I really like the first one too.

Cheers, Graham.

DominoDude said:
Osprey - Pandion haliaetus.
I think we had eye contact. I did my best not to look like a fish.
These are shot with the 400/5.6L, but at times I can shoot it with the 70-200/4L. Hoping to get a shot someday with a nice big splash while it dives for fish. So far my timing is a tad off for those.

Upvote 0

DominoDude

Certified photon catcher
Feb 7, 2013
::1
Valvebounce said:
Hi DominoDude.
Great shots, I really like the first one too.

Cheers, Graham.

Thanks, dudes!
I agree with you and Click. The angled wings make it more dynamic. The shots are taken in the same second and even with its rather slow wing movement much happens between the frames.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Jack.
Wow, straight on shot, fabulous, I love it. I just hope he didn't land on the end and start making a hole in the lens! ;D By the way that is prop blur, it is what proves the subject is in flight and not a model on a string! :eek: ::) ;D ;D

Cheers, Graham.

Jack Douglas said:
Today's attempt with nothing much that flies to shoot. 800mm F9 1/1000 too slow ISO 800

Jack

Upvote 0

DominoDude

Certified photon catcher
Feb 7, 2013
IslanderMV said:
DominoDude said:
Rare morph of a female Common cuckoo - Cuculus canorus. The reddish brown form is very rare, and yet this is the 3rd one I've seen over the years that I've been out and about chasing the feathered friends.

Nice, where was the shot taken ?
Thanks, IslanderMV!
It's taken in the southern parts of Sweden, on the countryside between Helsingborg and Ängelholm.
The other two has also been spotted within an area of 1hours driving from Helsingborg. Separate individuals, and a few years between the observations.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
AlanF said:
Jack Douglas said:
Today's attempt with nothing much that flies to shoot. 800mm F9 1/1000 too slow ISO 800

Jack

Jack
This looks like a "Bird in Flight"! Congratulations.

No it's a bird in fright worried that he was supposed to appear in another thread but I told him to just relax.

I hope to have more, I'll keep trying, and maybe one day I'll have something worthy of the other thread. ;) I'm loving 800, just wish it wasn't F8 relative to ISOs

Jack

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Jack.
I think that was definitely a worthy shot, I love it, not an angle you get to see too often.
At least you have the best tool for f8, all the AF points plus it looks to me like it handles high ISO really nicely.

Cheers, Graham.

Jack Douglas said:
AlanF said:
Jack Douglas said:

Jack

Jack

No it's a bird in fright worried that he was supposed to appear in another thread but I told him to just relax.

I hope to have more, I'll keep trying, and maybe one day I'll have something worthy of the other thread. ;) I'm loving 800, just wish it wasn't F8 relative to ISOs

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Valvebounce said:
Hi Jack.
I think that was definitely a worthy shot, I love it, not an angle you get to see too often.
At least you have the best tool for f8, all the AF points plus it looks to me like it handles high ISO really nicely.

Cheers, Graham.

Jack Douglas said:
AlanF said:
Jack Douglas said:

Jack

Jack

Jack

Thanks Graham. I've been one that needs a bit of time to settle into my comfort zone for what I'm personally willing to accept as "acceptable" relative to the performance of my camera/lens as well as the characteristics of my photos, such as grain. Don't many/most of us expect miracles when we buy some expensive toy. ;)

I couldn't be happier with the F8 AF of the 1DX II with 400 X2. It is such a massive step up in speed compared to my 6D with 300 X2 that it eliminates the issues I had then with BIF. Issues are now with me, such as quickly swinging the lens into alignment with the bird and tracking it. The 6D has been a very good value camera for IQ and I still love it.

I'm just not very good but support and encouragement on CR has helped me persist. :)

Jack

Upvote 0

DominoDude

Certified photon catcher
Feb 7, 2013
Jack, you are lot better than you fear you are. End of story!

Way too often we think we should be able to deliver better, more consistent shots. Progress is there, but sometimes we come to a temporary plateau before we take off again to new, previously unimagined, skill levels.
Learning is, at times, a slow process, and we are impatient. New gear automagically introduces a new set of variables into the mix, and our brains take that extra millisecond to process an idea that can alter the outcome.
At least this is true for me, and I refuse to acknowledge that I could be the only one with such a dilemma. ;)

Your woodpecker is a lovely shot. The speed of the wingtips in mid-stroke are always higher than at the top or bottom of the stroke, and also higher than close to the body. You convey the motion that the woodpecker have, and you have the head in good focus.

Upvote 0
Well spoken! DominoDude. Agree absolutely.
-r

DominoDude said:
Jack, you are lot better than you fear you are. End of story!

Way too often we think we should be able to deliver better, more consistent shots. Progress is there, but sometimes we come to a temporary plateau before we take off again to new, previously unimagined, skill levels.
Learning is, at times, a slow process, and we are impatient. New gear automagically introduces a new set of variables into the mix, and our brains take that extra millisecond to process an idea that can alter the outcome.
At least this is true for me, and I refuse to acknowledge that I could be the only one with such a dilemma. ;)

Your woodpecker is a lovely shot. The speed of the wingtips in mid-stroke are always higher than at the top or bottom of the stroke, and also higher than close to the body. You convey the motion that the woodpecker have, and you have the head in good focus.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Valvebounce said:
Hi Jack.

Cheers, Graham.

Jack Douglas said:
AlanF said:
Jack Douglas said:

Jack

Jack

Jack

Jack
Did he take off as you were taking him on the post behind? Those guys don't give you much chance if they are in mid flight.

Upvote 0