Aug 16, 2012
David Perrin said:
AlanF said:
David Perrin said:
AlanF said:
David Perrin said:
A few photo's taken with my new Canon 5D MkIV and 100-400 Mk2
Did you take these in the wild?

No, these were taken at a bird sanctuary in the UK. I must say that they all look a bit fierce to me, enough to keep me at a healthy distance,
Where in the UK?

Hi Alan

They were taken at The Suffolk Owl Sanctuary. They have a number of owls, eagles hawks etc. Well worth the visit.
David

Thanks, we are in Cambridge and I think it is on the route to Minsmere. We are members of the Suffolk Wildlife Trust.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Jack.
Excellent pose, great shot, nice detail, ISO blah blah blah! :-X ;D
Perhaps you should put some wheels on that shed, call it a mobile home and head south for a holiday with a greater choice of birds to photograph! 8)

Cheers, Graham.

Jack Douglas said:
Pleasant surprise indeed, happens to me too. Yesterday, but again at ISO 8000 so not the greatest but I like the pose. Wish there was more variety around here! ;)

Jack

Upvote 0

DominoDude

Certified photon catcher
Feb 7, 2013
::1
Jack Douglas said:
Thanks guys.

As you know this guy and his gal or sister or whomever visits me most days and I often don't bother since I have so many technically good shots of them but I'm always trying to understand how I might improve in other ways. So, now with the 1DX II and 400 X2 which will continue to be my bird combo almost exclusively, I have some more possibilities without having to be so close, and it helps.

I could scheme how to be closer and use the 300 lens but it's stored away for now anyway, until I decide if I should sell it. Less cropping means higher ISOs are feasible but still not desirable. These guys come almost always near sunset and hence the 8000 ISO.

There has to be a way we can swap birds - yes there is, it's called migration .... but some birds refuse to cooperate! ;)

Jack

You send me the stamps and your address and I'll fix...
I only have one size of envelopes, so if you need for example an Avocet the legs might stick out a little. ;)

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Valvebounce said:
Hi Jack.
Excellent pose, great shot, nice detail, ISO blah blah blah! :-X ;D
Perhaps you should put some wheels on that shed, call it a mobile home and head south for a holiday with a greater choice of birds to photograph! 8)

Cheers, Graham.

Jack Douglas said:
Pleasant surprise indeed, happens to me too. Yesterday, but again at ISO 8000 so not the greatest but I like the pose. Wish there was more variety around here! ;)

Jack

Ha ha I did think of building a little rigid blind that I could pull with my compact tractor to different locations in my yard, but down south!! ;D Actually I have the small motorhome we travel in but no passport that's now needed Can. to US.

Jack

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
DominoDude said:
Jack Douglas said:
Thanks guys.

As you know this guy and his gal or sister or whomever visits me most days and I often don't bother since I have so many technically good shots of them but I'm always trying to understand how I might improve in other ways. So, now with the 1DX II and 400 X2 which will continue to be my bird combo almost exclusively, I have some more possibilities without having to be so close, and it helps.

I could scheme how to be closer and use the 300 lens but it's stored away for now anyway, until I decide if I should sell it. Less cropping means higher ISOs are feasible but still not desirable. These guys come almost always near sunset and hence the 8000 ISO.

There has to be a way we can swap birds - yes there is, it's called migration .... but some birds refuse to cooperate! ;)

Jack

You send me the stamps and your address and I'll fix...
I only have one size of envelopes, so if you need for example an Avocet the legs might stick out a little. ;)
Maybe you can persuade it to put its wings out of the envelope so as to be the first flying envelop and not in need for post ;D

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
We've stumbled on something here!! Bird swapping. I like the idea of the wings being outside of the envelope since that would be free airmail. We know passenger pigeons have accomplished similar feats so I think it can work. I would like to order a stork in a big envelope. I'll pay for the envelope.

Alternately maybe some magnetic device that tricks your southern bird into reverse migration. I'll feed them so no worries there.

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
DominoDude said:
Too much hassle getting the wings out to do an airmail fix.
*puts on god beard and a toga, and points the divine finger, reverses Earth's magnetic poles*
-There ya' go!
*puts needle into inflated ego and disappears like a fart into thin air*

Now I know you've been smoking too much. ;)

Jack

Upvote 0
Click said:
David Perrin said:
Here are a few more. All taken with the Canon 5D MK IV & 100-400 Mk2

Nice shots. I especially like the second one.

Thanks Click. I agree with you re the Kestrel, I think there is something quite appealing about them, but I would not like to get too close to them, this one seemed to be eyeing up my fingers :)

Upvote 0
AlanF said:
David Perrin said:
AlanF said:
David Perrin said:
AlanF said:
David Perrin said:
A few photo's taken with my new Canon 5D MkIV and 100-400 Mk2
Did you take these in the wild?

No, these were taken at a bird sanctuary in the UK. I must say that they all look a bit fierce to me, enough to keep me at a healthy distance,
Where in the UK?

Hi Alan

They were taken at The Suffolk Owl Sanctuary. They have a number of owls, eagles hawks etc. Well worth the visit.
David

Thanks, we are in Cambridge and I think it is on the route to Minsmere. We are members of the Suffolk Wildlife Trust.

We were going to go up to Tichwell and at the last minute decided to give Minsmere a visit instead. Unfortunately it was blowing a gale off the North Sea and there was little there to see. As a consolation we went to the Owl Sanctuary but as it was late we only had a short time to shoot some of the birds before closing time. Will certainly visit again especially when the birds are allowed to fly.

Upvote 0