Show your Bird Portraits

tc202 said:
Black Skimmer family

28688288192_e205cd2c8c_b.jpg

Outback Photo Adventures
Instagram: Outback_Photo_Adventures

Well that's an award winner if I ever saw one! Absolutely amazing!

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
DominoDude said:
tc202 said:
Black Skimmer family
Outback Photo Adventures

W o w !
Bloody well done, tc202. You have all that it takes in one wonderful shot there. Somehow I don't think it's the lucky shot of your lifetime. I sense more will come.

He's a pro, and a very good one. Go to his site and you will see some great stuff.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Finally from Saturday, I put the 2xTC back on the 400 to capture a Great Crested Grebe wrestling with about as large a fish, a perch, as he could manage. The lighting was very difficult, back lit against very bright light reflecting off the water. I got it respectable by increasing the exposure and microcontrast in RAW, using DxO, then lifting shadows in Photoshop with some further tinkering.

Attachments

• greatcrestedgrebe+fish_2B4A4176_DxO_VB_CR.jpg
    greatcrestedgrebe+fish_2B4A4176_DxO_VB_CR.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 94
  • greatcrestedgrebe+fish_2B4A4181_DxO_BestPP_CR.jpg
    greatcrestedgrebe+fish_2B4A4181_DxO_BestPP_CR.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 85
  • greatcrestedgrebe+fish_2B4A4205_DxO_PortraitBest_ CR.jpg
    greatcrestedgrebe+fish_2B4A4205_DxO_PortraitBest_ CR.jpg
    431.9 KB · Views: 88
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
AlanF said:
Jack Douglas said:
Great shots, guys.

Today I did a wee bit of 120p HD of a Pileated male, hand held. Not great but not bad either and it's sure tweaked my interest - really smooth slow motion.

Jack

Did your thumb get in the way when you were holding the poor bird?

In that scenario I wouldn't have any thumb and based on his attire I'd guess he's far from poor but not presenting too well on a dreary day with snow. ;) 1DX II 400 X2 1/800 F8 ISO 12800 Sunshine please!

Jack

Attachments

• Pileated_0805.JPG
    Pileated_0805.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 82
Upvote 0
Jun 11, 2013
AlanF said:
Finally from Saturday, I put the 2xTC back on the 400 to capture a Great Crested Grebe wrestling with about as large a fish, a perch, as he could manage. The lighting was very difficult, back lit against very bright light reflecting off the water. I got it respectable by increasing the exposure and microcontrast in RAW, using DxO, then lifting shadows in Photoshop with some further tinkering.

Really nice result for tough conditions. Do you ever use a fill-flash? Might have been helpful in this light.

Upvote 0

tc202

Thomas- Outback_Photo_Adventures
Thanks Jack, Jonathan, DominoDude, Alan, and streestandtheatres! Awesome separation on your image streestandtheatres :)

jrista said:
Jack Douglas said:
Mikehit said:
tc202 - that is adorable! What a wonderfully timed shot.

+1

Jack

tc202 said:
Black Skimmer family

28688288192_e205cd2c8c_b.jpg

Outback Photo Adventures

Well that's an award winner if I ever saw one! Absolutely amazing!

DominoDude said:
tc202 said:
Black Skimmer family
Outback Photo Adventures

W o w !
Bloody well done, tc202. You have all that it takes in one wonderful shot there. Somehow I don't think it's the lucky shot of your lifetime. I sense more will come.

AlanF said:
DominoDude said:
tc202 said:
Black Skimmer family
Outback Photo Adventures

W o w !

He's a pro, and a very good one. Go to his site and you will see some great stuff.

streestandtheatres said:
After tc202's shot I think I might give up... But here's a portrait anyway...
I think the 400 5.6 still does a good job :)

Kestrel , on Flickr
https://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelhooper/

Upvote 0
tc202 said:
sedwards said:
Great blue heron portait
7DII , 400 F5.6
1/3200 , iso 400
7DII4940 by Stuart Edwards, on Flickr

Great morning (or afternoon) lighting on the Blue Heron! I love seeing all the small details in these headshots :)
Thanks ! That was early morning last friday at fort desoto. Wish I was there now ,I am back home in canada and its snowing :(

Upvote 0

tc202

Thomas- Outback_Photo_Adventures
I hope you had an awesome time at Fort De Soto (it's my favorite spot in Florida). At least the Snowy Owls are coming down now :D

sedwards said:
tc202 said:
sedwards said:
Great blue heron portait
7DII , 400 F5.6
1/3200 , iso 400
7DII4940 by Stuart Edwards, on Flickr

Great morning (or afternoon) lighting on the Blue Heron! I love seeing all the small details in these headshots :)
Thanks ! That was early morning last friday at fort desoto. Wish I was there now ,I am back home in canada and its snowing :(

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Vern said:
AlanF said:

Really nice result for tough conditions. Do you ever use a fill-flash? Might have been helpful in this light.

Maybe I should try flash. Trouble is I am an opportunistic photographer, chancing on opportunities, and there usually isn't time to change bits of gear and often the birds are a fair distance away. But, I'll take flash on my next outing.

Upvote 0