Show your Bird Portraits

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
sedwards said:
Fantastic shot Mike !

Fore sure!

My story likely won't have a happy ending. Out in the slew this guy had not a hint of parents around. The most likely are Mallard or Blue-winged teal - anyone recognize what it is?

Jack

Attachments

• Duckling_14276.JPG
    Duckling_14276.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 84
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I have been wanting to get a good shot of a skylark for a long time as they are in abundance in fields around the lab. Yesterday, one posed for me for the first time, fairly far away, and I swung the 5DSR + 1.4xTC + 400m DO II into action. I was on the wrong side of the sun but fortunately it was cloudy, and the grass behind was the only background.

Attachments

• skylark_3Q7A0646_DxO_skylarkcrop.jpg
    skylark_3Q7A0646_DxO_skylarkcrop.jpg
    741.1 KB · Views: 78
Upvote 0
Mikehit said:
At one of the local parks we had swan nesting in full view of the visitors, and soon after they hatched I was able to capture this little one sleeping on its mother's back
This is a very nice picture Mike (I overlooked it when I went through this thread earlier).

I was out by our local pond on the same day and had an ambition to shoot pretty much the same image, but here all the eggs were intact and this is just an impatient mum. Would have looked better with a little one ;)

This is a strange lady swan by the way. Her first husband was killed by a dog, two years ago, while he protected the nest. And, since they are normally monogamous, we expected to see her as a lonely swan. However, she found a new male last year and produced 4 little ones. This year she is courted by No.3 (they are marked, so we can tell them apart) and is lying on 5 eggs. Good for her :)

Attachments

• _V4I2750-2.jpg
    _V4I2750-2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 97
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Eldar said:
Mikehit said:
At one of the local parks we had swan nesting in full view of the visitors, and soon after they hatched I was able to capture this little one sleeping on its mother's back
This is a very nice picture Mike (I overlooked it when I went through this thread earlier).

I was out by our local pond on the same day and had an ambition to shoot pretty much the same image
Hi Eldar and Mike!
Both pictures are really nice. Congrats.

... Her first husband was killed ... they are normally monogamous ... she found a new male last ... This year she is courted by No.3 ...
Maybe she has grow to like that kind of relationship ;)
But really interesting story. Thank you for sharing.
I've heard about swans dying lonely after the partners death as well as finding a new partner. But for the second case I thought It would again be monogamous. Really interesting. Thank you.

Upvote 0

bjd

Aug 29, 2011
Maximilian said:
Eldar said:
Mikehit said:

I was out by our local pond on the same day and had an ambition to shoot pretty much the same image
Hi Eldar and Mike!
Both pictures are really nice. Congrats.

... Her first husband was killed ... they are normally monogamous ... she found a new male last ... This year she is courted by No.3 ...
Maybe she has grow to like that kind of relationship ;)
But really interesting story. Thank you for sharing.
I've heard about swans dying lonely after the partners death as well as finding a new partner. But for the second case I thought It would again be monogamous. Really interesting. Thank you.
I guess it also depends on if she gets to meet a single Male or not. Maybe the monogamous bit is not always by choice (in Swans).........

Lovely shot BTW.

Cheers Brian

Upvote 0