Show your Bird Portraits

hbr said:
Claudelec said:
I got opportunity with these new born "FOULQUE MACROULE" (in french), Fulica atra , Coot,
EOS 70D EF 100-400IS II at 400mm, 1/1000 f/6.3 iso 1600 , Cropped for size reason.

Fabulous shot, Claudelec. Where I live there are many Coots that overwinter but they don't mate here.

Brian
Thanks for your comments;
I'm living in FRANCE, Area north of Paris and these birds are very common on our waters. Shot is taken very near the nest, that i have seen some days before with the parents on the eggs...

Upvote 0
Thanks very much Jack.
There were lots of cardinals about 4 houses up my road for as long as I live here (17 years). And they never seemed to come to where we are, until 3 summers ago. It seems like they're visiting us more often now. I wonder why, I've not changed my seed habit or deck arrangements. I can only surmise that the weather changes to allow a bit of environment they like.
This little guy stayed for more than 5 minutes at the feeder, making enough time for me to look at it, then get my camera (from another room), turn on, zoom out, etc, and shoot it. Surprised that it was so patient, since they're nervous birds. Even after it left the feeder, I can still hear its chirp, so it must be nearby.
I like these little guys. Favorite is the nondescript carolina wren with their beautiful songs and upturn tails when they sing. Sad that it's not easy to shoot them; they're even more nervous and they're normally on the ground, not a good position to shoot them.
-r
Jack Douglas said:
lion rock said:
Thank you, Click.
-r

Click said:
Lion rock and dpc,

Very nice shots, guys. :)

Riley, you lucky guy. I only saw my first real life Cardinal two weeks ago in Montreal but no lens to capture it.

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
lion rock said:
Thanks very much Jack.
There were lots of cardinals about 4 houses up my road for as long as I live here (17 years). And they never seemed to come to where we are, until 3 summers ago. It seems like they're visiting us more often now. I wonder why, I've not changed my seed habit or deck arrangements. I can only surmise that the weather changes to allow a bit of environment they like.
This little guy stayed for more than 5 minutes at the feeder, making enough time for me to look at it, then get my camera (from another room), turn on, zoom out, etc, and shoot it. Surprised that it was so patient, since they're nervous birds. Even after it left the feeder, I can still hear its chirp, so it must be nearby.
I like these little guys. Favorite is the nondescript carolina wren with their beautiful songs and upturn tails when they sing. Sad that it's not easy to shoot them; they're even more nervous and they're normally on the ground, not a good position to shoot them.
-r
Jack Douglas said:
lion rock said:
Thank you, Click.
-r

Click said:
Lion rock and dpc,

Very nice shots, guys. :)

Riley, you lucky guy. I only saw my first real life Cardinal two weeks ago in Montreal but no lens to capture it.

Jack

Riley, I have a feeder and birds come but sometimes I just scatter seeds on a stump or around it in a location where I can be somewhat hidden and it makes for better photographic possibilities. The down side is that it's not in front of a kitchen window where viewing is more likely.

My lower level bedroom window looks out to a stump (not posted here). I cut a sheet of plexiglass replacing my screen, cut a lens hole in it, and sprayed it lightly with paint so I'm not visible. I was shooting out of that hole on some of my winter posted pics. Unfortunately, shooting south gave a lot of back-lighting depending on the time of day.

From long ago, I posted this shot, I think. The contraption was too much work but it has done the job when I put it to use. If I was redoing it I'd take an old chair base and simply use the 3/4" screw (1"??) - drill 3/4 hole in bottom of stump and drop the stump over the screw.

Jack

Attachments

• More props_1494.JPG
    More props_1494.JPG
    718 KB · Views: 93
Upvote 0
Jack,
You've a great setup for birding/photography. Great for attracting the feathered friends in a natural looking environment. Great for shooting them, too, without having a man-made look. Perhaps a large hole in the center of the trunk to put seeds inside and a side opening near the bottom of the central hole so birds can collect seeds from and the photo won't show a feeder.
I do remember you have a similar contraption you put near a hide you have for shooting the great pileated.
Anyhow, you have good setup. How often do you replace the small trees/limbs?

I can't do too much for convenience of a shoot. My deck is over 25 feet of the ground, the trees are mere feet from the railings. Can't climb from ground and can't climb over from the deck. Just have to rely on feeders hanging off the side of the railings to attract birds. So shots include the feeder. If I'm lucky, I can sometimes crop the feeder out. Just pure dumb luck to catch them hop away the feeder.

Look forward to more of your shots.
-r

Jack Douglas said:
Riley, I have a feeder and birds come but sometimes I just scatter seeds on a stump or around it in a location where I can be somewhat hidden and it makes for better photographic possibilities. The down side is that it's not in front of a kitchen window where viewing is more likely.

My lower level bedroom window looks out to a stump (not posted here). I cut a sheet of plexiglass replacing my screen, cut a lens hole in it, and sprayed it lightly with paint so I'm not visible. I was shooting out of that hole on some of my winter posted pics. Unfortunately, shooting south gave a lot of back-lighting depending on the time of day.

From long ago, I posted this shot, I think. The contraption was too much work but it has done the job when I put it to use. If I was redoing it I'd take an old chair base and simply use the 3/4" screw (1"??) - drill 3/4 hole in bottom of stump and drop the stump over the screw.

Jack

Upvote 0