Show your Bird Portraits

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Nat.
Thanks, plus a couple of really nice shots from you too, the mist gives a really surreal appearance.

Cheers, Graham.

Nat_WA said:
@Jack, Kodakrome and Graham

Nice shots, all!

While we're on water-fowl...

Misty mood picture of a grebe family heading towards the island (the other young had strayed outside the widest view angle of my 100-400),
and
Common moorhen, mistakenly looking for his (/her) nest in my garden ;)

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Folks.
A couple more different colourings I have not seen on small gulls before, plus one shot of a gull tiptoeing across the surface of the sea, I slightly missed with the focus point, it being on the water behind the gull, but I like the shot for the timing.

Tiptoeing on the water.
SE0A3431_DxO by Graham Stretch, on Flickr

Bow wave.
SE0A3460_DxO by Graham Stretch, on Flickr

Interesting colouring in the light.
SE0A3443_DxO by Graham Stretch, on Flickr

Interesting colouring in the shade.
SE0A3465_DxO by Graham Stretch, on Flickr

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Jack.
Thanks, yes water is so variable, and very difficult (at least for me) to predict how it will look once captured and processed.

Cheers, Graham.

Jack Douglas said:
V nice Graham. Isn't it amazing how water can take on that steely look, in fact in general how differently water displays in various shots.

Jack

Upvote 0

tarntyke

Triumph of enthusiasm over ability
Apr 15, 2015
United Kingdom
@Valvebounce
Good luck with identifying your gulls. Some species take up to four years to develop from chick to adult with different plumage at each summer and winter. Sexes sometimes differ as well. Your photos are of non-adults but which stage and species, I haven't a clue, sorry. Based on your location, they are most likely black-headed or perhaps Common gulls. The main thing is that the photos are excellent.

Upvote 0
@Jack, Graham - Thanks for your kind words!

@foo - Nice mallard shots - but you must have had a lot of rain by July if there is no water around your place ;)

@Vadek - Excellent portrait - was it in the wild?

@Graham - Excellent gull shots, I especially like the "bow wave" - timed so well before the wave hits the surface again...

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi tarntyke.
Thank you for the info, wow, 4 years to mature, I'm shocked, I did not realise they took that long.
Thank you also for your kind comments on the shots, much appreciated.

Cheers, Graham.

tarntyke said:
@Valvebounce
Good luck with identifying your gulls. Some species take up to four years to develop from chick to adult with different plumage at each summer and winter. Sexes sometimes differ as well. Your photos are of non-adults but which stage and species, I haven't a clue, sorry. Based on your location, they are most likely black-headed or perhaps Common gulls. The main thing is that the photos are excellent.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Nat.
Thanks, as I'm sure you are aware even in low speed continuous drive @6fps there is a good chance of nailing the timing with these cameras. :)

Cheers, Graham.

Nat_WA said:
@Graham - Excellent gull shots, I especially like the "bow wave" - timed so well before the wave hits the surface again...

Upvote 0