Show your Bird Portraits

scyrene said:
A couple more with the kingfisher. I've never had close contact with this species, so although it's a cliché, it was a very rewarding experience.

5DS, 700mm.

Nice pictures of this beautiful, colourful and very fast / agile bird scyrene!

I had the opportunity to use a hide near a kingfisher nesting place two years back; posted some pictures last year of a similarly rewarding experience :)
Next challenge would be to capture one in flight or diving... Believe me - I tried and failed that first time ;)

Wiebe.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Nat_WA said:
scyrene said:
A couple more with the kingfisher. I've never had close contact with this species, so although it's a cliché, it was a very rewarding experience.

5DS, 700mm.

Nice pictures of this beautiful, colourful and very fast / agile bird scyrene!

I had the opportunity to use a hide near a kingfisher nesting place two years back; posted some pictures last year of a similarly rewarding experience :)
Next challenge would be to capture one in flight or diving... Believe me - I tried and failed that first time ;)

Wiebe.

My very few sightings of the Belted left me in awe as to how anyone could get flight pictures and I still have that feeling. However, like anything in life, humans are humans and if something is being done there must be a way. Not to suggest it's easy by any means, so I'm all ears. I know with my chickadee flight shots of which a few were really good it had more to do with luck than my skill but it did involve scheming and lots of persistence with a plan that had merit.

After a few days of utter failure I had things tuned so that finally, in about 4 hours, I managed a couple half decent. Nothing new but here's one I don't think I posted before?? Of course one needs many birds for many opportunities and in this case a blind.

BTW, it should be pretty obvious that there was no tracking involved. ;) I now have a Miops but not then, so there was no laser involved.

Jack

Attachments

• ChickadeeFlight_25310.JPG
    ChickadeeFlight_25310.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 104
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
There is a reason this thread survives and grows - great shots continuously submitted from everyone.

Steve, you have to be educated! Once a long lens is purchased, assuming you love/appreciate nature the patience grows by leaps and bounds. ;) Many things are too challenging if you don't have the appropriate tools. From what others have said it seems that the relatively inexpensive 400 5.6 might be worth considering (used?).

Of course you may not parallel my nature but I had the Nikon 70-300 cheapo and that was fun and got me enthused but getting the 300 2.8 II and 1.4X, 2X, 6D really propelled me. As a a first expensive lens purchase I was apologizing to myself and everyone else for spending so much on such non-essential stuff, but not any more. Scrimped all my life so now is the time for fun. Starting out, I didn't even know the eye "had" to be in focus! ;D ;D

So, no guarantees but I suspect you'd find this to be true.

Jack

Upvote 0