Show your Bird Portraits

gruhl28

Canon 70D
Jul 26, 2013
AlanF said:
Jack Douglas said:
Talys said:
AlanF said:
Jack, I don't fear theft. It's walking around town and being told every few yards what a big one I have got. The 5DIV + 400mm DO II + 2xTC = 3.72kg, 5DSR + Sigma 150-600mm C = 2.96kg

I'm curious, Alan -- when you take off the hood on the 400, how much longer is the 400mm + 2x than the Sigma (with no hood)?

I've wondered how critical the hood is and have pondered making another that is maybe 1/2??

Jack

The dimensions can be found in TDP, imaging-resources etc. The 400mm DO II is 233mm long, vs 267mm for the Sigma unextended (I have checked). With a 1.4xTC on the 400mm, they are the same length. Without the hood, the 400mm DO is quite short. I value that front element too much to use the lens without the hood.

I can certainly understand not wanting to walk around without the protection of the hood, but I can't help wondering if Canon had to make the hood so big - it almost doubles the size of the lens. I guess it reverses for storage, but it still seems a bit of a shame to have to lose the smallness of the lens while using it.

Edit: Not that I'd mind having a fantastic lens like that. :)

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
gruhl28 said:
AlanF said:
Jack Douglas said:
Talys said:
AlanF said:
Jack, I don't fear theft. It's walking around town and being told every few yards what a big one I have got. The 5DIV + 400mm DO II + 2xTC = 3.72kg, 5DSR + Sigma 150-600mm C = 2.96kg

I'm curious, Alan -- when you take off the hood on the 400, how much longer is the 400mm + 2x than the Sigma (with no hood)?

I've wondered how critical the hood is and have pondered making another that is maybe 1/2??

Jack

The dimensions can be found in TDP, imaging-resources etc. The 400mm DO II is 233mm long, vs 267mm for the Sigma unextended (I have checked). With a 1.4xTC on the 400mm, they are the same length. Without the hood, the 400mm DO is quite short. I value that front element too much to use the lens without the hood.

I can certainly understand not wanting to walk around without the protection of the hood, but I can't help wondering if Canon had to make the hood so big - it almost doubles the size of the lens. I guess it reverses for storage, but it still seems a bit of a shame to have to lose the smallness of the lens while using it.

Edit: Not that I'd mind having a fantastic lens like that. :)
You do not lose much. The lens weight as well as its center of gravity remain practically the same since the hood does not weigh much. I always use the hood and it is still a pleasure to use (at least comparing with the 500II ;D )

Upvote 0
Nice shot Stuart!

Was watching one of the local female Kestrels tear apart breakfast when the rain started. Then the rain got heavier and I decided to just keep shooting. Interestingly, she just shrugged off the rain and went back to eating.
SDR5101_sRGB-X2.jpg

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
AlanF said:
That's a very fine shot, and in my many sightings of a kestrel I have never seen one with a kill. The quality is superb. Is it a 100% crop or is down-resolved?

Same here (almost).... the only time I saw one with a kill was after sunset and it was about 100 feet up one of the oak trees in the back yard, and all I had on me was a phone...... see that pixel, it’s a kestrel.....

And before I forget, that is a very nice picture. Congratulations!

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I'll just say what a nice bunch of recent photos!! Still wishing for something else to shoot. Took a day and hiked around Elk Island National Park and all I saw was one lousy magpie. At least at home I get the usual - crows, chickadees, nuthatches, downies etc. but spring, where are you?! :(

Jack

Attachments

• Redpoll_s_28998.JPG
    Redpoll_s_28998.JPG
    741.1 KB · Views: 90
Upvote 0
Jack - I love your Redpolls! I have a few hanging around my place, but they are not letting me close for a pic.

I have another Mexican bird to show, but I can't ID it...I hope the collective here can help. It has very tiny, hanging in scrub bush, and had a very pretty voice...any ideas?

Attachments

• mystery bird.jpg
    mystery bird.jpg
    933.9 KB · Views: 88
Upvote 0

tarntyke

Triumph of enthusiasm over ability
Apr 15, 2015
United Kingdom
clbayley said:
I have another Mexican bird to show, but I can't ID it...I hope the collective here can help. It has very tiny, hanging in scrub bush, and had a very pretty voice...any ideas?
My guess is either black-tailed or blue-grey gnatcatcher. Do you have a pic showing underside of its tail?

Upvote 0