Show your Bird Portraits

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
lion rock said:
Haven't packed yet, though the thought process is started.
I think I'll bring a speedlight and a "better Beamer" for the speedlight, Sometimes shooting BIFs with the sky as background, the details of the bird is lost.
Everything will have to be in a carry on and a camera backpack. A lot to sacrifice for weight and volume. And 2 weeks of clothings. Also, I hope they'll allow a tripod on an airplane as carry on. Hope I won't pack bad weather in there.

In the meantime, get well. Rest, too.
-r

ISv said:
Thanks Riley! These were taken June last year. The bird is normally hiding in very dark/dens brush and despite not rare is kind of difficult to shoot. These were feeding on Mountain apple and ignored me (after 5-10 min "adaptation time"). Shots were taken at Lyon Arboretum (at the very end of Manoa valley) - easy to get to and very good botanical garden, belongs to UH. Safe parking and no fees of any kind. Highly recommended!
I hope you are already preparing your luggage for here. Please make sure you discard any bad weather from your suitcases - we have enough of this stuff this year ;)! I'm fighting bad bronchitis in the last week and so - first time in ~15 years on the Islands!

Sorry if I'm late with my answer but I rarely and only briefly look at the computer today. You may check this link: https://www.hawaiicamera.com/. They are family business, I had only twice interactions with them and both times they were for "excellent"! This may eventually decrease your load...

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
gsw1 said:
any constructive comments are welcome

Not a master and here for the same reason you are plus just sharing. One thing recommended to me was to look more at composition and my eyes really got opened when I bought the book recommended to me by PBD (Scott), namely: The Photographer's Eye - Freeman. Well worth every penny if you're looking at more than just a sharp bird sitting in the center of your frame.

Jack

Upvote 0
Durf said:
I shot this a couple years ago with a T6i using a cheaper Sigma 18-250mm zoom lens. I shot all day that day not realizing I was in Jpeg mode only! But even with a T6i and low cost lens I managed to capture several keeper Jpegs that day.

This one here I only did a couple slight adjustments too and isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer or could win any "Pic of the Year" awards but it's always been one of my favorites for some reason..........
Perfect!

Upvote 0
Jack,
Especially for you.
Got one, finally!
We're out walking the dogs at a local national forest pond. Taken with M5 and 55-200 mm lens.

Also, have a couple near the driveway, but never got a chance to shoot it, flew off before I reach the driveway, but they have made a sizeable dent on the tree by the driveway.
-r

Attachments

• s-2174.jpg
    s-2174.jpg
    599.1 KB · Views: 82
Upvote 0