Show your Bird Portraits

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
dpc said:
I'm not 100% sure what this is, perhaps a song sparrow?

V nice. Whenever I ask this question it always comes back as Song sparrow - I guess based on the stripe pattern. Apparently, there are great variations as I saw in Haida Gwaii.

I'm partial to Saskatchewan since my first year with my Canon Ftb was in Moose Jaw and surrounding areas via my old Honda 300. I just loved the hill country to the south with the cactus etc.

Jack

Upvote 0
Jack Douglas said:
dpc said:

V nice. Whenever I ask this question it always comes back as Song sparrow - I guess based on the stripe pattern. Apparently, there are great variations as I saw in Haida Gwaii.

I'm partial to Saskatchewan since my first year with my Canon Ftb was in Moose Jaw and surrounding areas via my old Honda 300. I just loved the hill country to the south with the cactus etc.

Jack

I like Saskatchewan but I do like heading to the mountains and the coast for photography opportunities. I've concluded after some more research that the bird is indeed a song sparrow. :)

Upvote 0
Hi, I recently went on a two week voyage from the Falkland Islands (Stanley) to South Georgia (Sub Antarctica) March/April 2018. Second time to this island. First time was January 2014 as part of an Antarctica / South Georgia voyage. On both occasions traveled with Aurora Expeditions, on the Polar Pioneer. On our trip in 2014 we landed on Prion island to view the nesting Wandering Albatross whilst on the island one person got a photo of the South Georgia Pipit. These small song birds were relegated to these outer islands that were rat free. There were no Pipits on the main island. The South Georgia Heritage Trust raised enough money to carry out an aerial baiting program to eradicate the rats and now in 2018 they are about to declare the main island rat free. On our recent trip we were able to see the pipit at every landing on the main island. Below are three photos of the Pipit.

1 Pipit at Elsehul
2 Pipit at Godthul
3 Pipit at king Haakon Bay

Attachments

• Elsehul018.jpg
    Elsehul018.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 90
  • Godthul006.jpg
    Godthul006.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 90
  • King Haakon Bay031.jpg
    King Haakon Bay031.jpg
    938 KB · Views: 85
Upvote 0
dpc said:
Nice shot of a Lincoln's Sparrow - often a somewhat secretive species and not very common in the eastern USA. Compared to a Song Sparrow they have finer more well defined streaks (like a fine tipped sharpie vs. smudgy marks of Song Sparrow) over much of their plumage; the well defined black streaks in the rusty cap with a central gray line; a buffy breast and flanks and well defined eye ring all help separate it from Song Sparrow. Once you get a gizz feeling for them they look slimmer, trimmer and often raises its crest (more so than a Song Sparrow). They often like to hide so you did a great job of getting one in plain surroundings - so yeah you got a different species this time. My wife and I are the author/photographers for the Nature Guides in the National Parks and appreciate a nice image showing all of the field marks for easy identification; good stuff - Rob

Upvote 0