Show your Bird Portraits

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
ISV those are seriously nice. I have shot mostly birds in my area just east Edmonton (it's called the Beaver Hills), except for a few times shooting in BC. If you haven't noticed there is a link at the bottom of my posting to National Geographic where I've posted most of my better shots of my Canadian birds. If you look be sure to click "View slide show" for higher resolution.

Jack

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Jack Douglas said:
ISV those are seriously nice. I have shot mostly birds in my area just east Edmonton (it's called the Beaver Hills), except for a few times shooting in BC. If you haven't noticed there is a link at the bottom of my posting to National Geographic where I've posted most of my better shots of my Canadian birds. If you look be sure to click "View slide show" for higher resolution.

Jack

Thanks Jack!
Concerning your advise: I did this time ago :)!
The problem is that as an originally European I don't know much about the North American birds. Time to learn something new :) and the best first steps are off course some books.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
ISv said:
Jack Douglas said:

Jack

Thanks Jack!
The problem is that as an originally European I don't know much about the North American birds. Time to learn something new :) and the best first steps are off course some books.

Sadly, I knew more when I was 12 years old. Life got way too busy for too many years.

Jack

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Jack Douglas said:
ISv said:
Jack Douglas said:

Jack

Thanks Jack!

Sadly, I knew more when I was 12 years old. Life got way too busy for too many years.

Jack

Ha,ha! Same here Jack! At that age (means ~50 years ago) I did write a homework: "I want to be an Ornithologist". And I already knew some of the local birds by scientific names. Different times and different priorities but I use to like what I like.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
ISv said:
Jack Douglas said:
ISv said:
Jack Douglas said:

Jack

Thanks Jack!

Jack

Ha,ha! Same here Jack! At that age (means ~50 years ago) I did write a homework: "I want to be an Ornithologist". And I already knew some of the local birds by scientific names. Different times and different priorities but I use to like what I like.

I collected bird cards that were in the tea and ordered the book where they were pasted in. For my 10th birthday I was given, Birds of Alberta and knew most of them. When I was seven, my folks bought a lake lot at a very wild lake and so I was exposed to the wildlife there and loved it. Schools today should invest more in training the kids about nature because nature lovers are not likely to be criminals, I don't think. ;)

Jack

Upvote 0
ISv,
Beautiful birds. Great shots!
-r
PS., not trivial at all.

ISv said:
And here is my very trivial contribution - I didn't succeed to take a photo of something new (despite I did spend ~ few ours chasing the Red Avadavat - devilish tiny birds, but rather beautiful even in non-breading plumage as they are now)
On the second photo the Red-billed Leiothrix has to much back-wind (and light...) and on the third I see something suspicious under the bird (scared from me?! ;D)

Upvote 0