Show your Bird Portraits

Nat_WA said:
And while taking shelter from a tropical rain shower ;) - a hummingbird swept past to a flower bed next to a pond in the "Fort Nieuw Amsterdam" museum park :) . Wow, these birds are fast! Out of dozens of pictures taken only 4 or 5 were anywhere near 'okay'...

Wiebe.

... so hard to predict to which flower they will go - aim the camera, focus and take the shot(s)
Or maybe I'm just too inexperienced ;)

Wiebe.

Upvote 0
Indeed they're fast! And wonderful creatures.
You've got nice shots of them, in flight, no less. Beautiful.

We have 2 feeders for them and there are about 10 of them flittering/fighting themselves all the time near the feeders. And, they're consuming the sugar solution prodigiously, about a litre every 2 days! Sending my sugar bill high ;) . But what a show.
Look for them more.
-r

Nat_WA said:
And while taking shelter from a tropical rain shower ;) - a hummingbird swept past to a flower bed next to a pond in the "Fort Nieuw Amsterdam" museum park :) . Wow, these birds are fast! Out of dozens of pictures taken only 4 or 5 were anywhere near 'okay'...

Wiebe.

Attachments

• s1627 hummy.jpg
    s1627 hummy.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 65
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
lion rock said:
We have 2 feeders for them and there are about 10 of them flittering/fighting themselves all the time near the feeders. And, they're consuming the sugar solution prodigiously, about a litre every 2 days! Sending my sugar bill high ;) . But what a show.
Look for them more.
-r

:D :D :D

Nice shot, lion rock. :)

Upvote 0
Nat_WA said:

Wiebe.
Beautiful shots Wiebe!

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
A lot of interesting and good shots from many people!
I have nothing new, one (or few...) of the same :-\!
Went out to look for juveniles of Japanese White eye (without the white around the eyes they look, at least from distance like Oahu Amakihi) but it seems to be so late - they look like the adults already and you can recognize them only by the behavior...

Attachments

• DSC_9007_DxO.jpg
    DSC_9007_DxO.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 69
  • DSC_9009_DxO.jpg
    DSC_9009_DxO.jpg
    966.9 KB · Views: 69
Upvote 0

bjd

Aug 29, 2011
KeithBreazeal said:
Red Breasted Nuthatch at our backyard pond. Tiny bird, massive crop.
5D Mark IV 100-400 VII ISO 4000 250th f5.0

Backyard Birds Red Breasted Nuthatch 8093 © Keith Breazeal by Keith Breazeal, on Flickr
Nice shot Keith, as I know that you have a 5Ds, any reason why you didn't use that and so have better quality after your "Massive Crop", or was it just the camera that you had in your hand when the opportunity arose?
I say that as I wonder what will be my next Camera after the 5DMK4? And I always saw the 5DS a possible alternative to the 2x extender. Maybe there will be a 5DS MK2 sometime?
Cheers Brian

Upvote 0