Show your Bird Portraits

bjd

Aug 29, 2011
I too have to say that there are so many great shots here I would not like to miss anyone's
work out so keep the fabulous shots coming everyone.
It keeps me on my toes and trying to achieve better results all the time.
It also shows me what certain equipment combinations can achieve, and that is sometimes quite surprising.
As is many times the case, the problem is usually located directly behind the camera. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Cheers Brian

Upvote 0
IslanderMV said:
Green Heron posing in a perfect spot. Taken from a kayak.

Excellent picture Jeff! Getting such a shot from a kayak / canoe... I'm impressed (especially after attempting similar shots from small boats / canoes recently ;) )

I've spotted some of his relatives in my Suriname trip - will post some in due course...

Wiebe.

Upvote 0
ISv said:
A lot of interesting and good shots from many people!
I have nothing new, one (or few...) of the same :-\!
Went out to look for juveniles of Japanese White eye (without the white around the eyes they look, at least from distance like Oahu Amakihi) but it seems to be so late - they look like the adults already and you can recognize them only by the behavior...

Hi ISv, whether they have their juvenile or already their adult plumage - the shots are fantastic!

Wiebe.

Upvote 0
bjd said:
KeithBreazeal said:
Red Breasted Nuthatch at our backyard pond. Tiny bird, massive crop.
5D Mark IV 100-400 VII ISO 4000 250th f5.0

Backyard Birds Red Breasted Nuthatch 8093 © Keith Breazeal by Keith Breazeal, on Flickr
Nice shot Keith, as I know that you have a 5Ds, any reason why you didn't use that and so have better quality after your "Massive Crop", or was it just the camera that you had in your hand when the opportunity arose?
I say that as I wonder what will be my next Camera after the 5DMK4? And I always saw the 5DS a possible alternative to the 2x extender. Maybe there will be a 5DS MK2 sometime?
Cheers Brian

I had the 100-400 on the 5D IV and just grabbed it. It was taken close to sunset, so really low light. I knew the Mark IV could handle the higher ISO. Next time, if the light is better, I'll use the 5DS with the 300 + 2X. The new 100-400 IS is really good by the way.

Upvote 0
stevelee said:
KeithBreazeal said:
The new 100-400 IS is really good by the way.

I have been amazed by it. I have very clear pictures shot handheld at 400mm at 1/320 second and even 1/200 second.

Indeed! All my Suriname bird shots are with this lens :)
A couple of years ago I managed a shot of a (stationary) deer at 400mm, 1/100s - amazing what the IS can do!

Wiebe.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Nat_WA said:
stevelee said:
KeithBreazeal said:

I have been amazed by it. I have very clear pictures shot handheld at 400mm at 1/320 second and even 1/200 second.

A couple of years ago I managed a shot of a (stationary) deer at 400mm, 1/100s - amazing what the IS can do!

Wiebe.

Mine is fairly new, so it is the model II. Supposedly it has even better IS. With the good high ISO of my 6D2, I take rather decent pictures handheld in relatively little light with it. I also took a very sharp picture of an almost full moon handheld at 400mm. I realize the moon is in bright sunlight even if I am not. But holding the camera and that heavy lens over my head to shoot the moon, I was very unsteady. I had to use autofocus because I couldn't hold the camera and lens in place while turning the focus ring. My age may be beginning to be a factor in my being a little shaky when holding an unbalanced six or so pounds over my head.

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
stevelee said:
Nat_WA said:
stevelee said:
KeithBreazeal said:

Wiebe.

"My age may be beginning to be a factor in my being a little shaky when holding an unbalanced six or so pounds over my head."

I'm above 60 and it's not improving ;D! You did good job anyway!

Upvote 0