Show your Bird Portraits

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I took today day off - to supply some necessities for the incoming huricane (http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/...-for-hawaii-maui-counties-as-lane-nears-state). After shopping went to the location where I'm hunting the Red Avadavat - it's the same location for the African Silverbill. No Avadavats but I got group of ~20-30 Silverbills , hiding in the brush of Mangrove from the killer temperatures. Small part of the group is on photo 1. After that is another shot of the same group and the DSC_9705_DxO.jpgDSC_9709_DxO.jpgDSC_9709_DxO-1.jpglast is a big crop of the bird in focus... Not good compositions but it was not about that.
And I think I will (finally;)) disappear for some days - it is not looking good with this hurricane!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I took today day off - to supply some necessities for the incoming huricane (http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/...-for-hawaii-maui-counties-as-lane-nears-state). After shopping went to the location where I'm hunting the Red Avadavat - it's the same location for the African Silverbill. No Avadavats but I got group of ~20-30 Silverbills , hiding in the brush of Mangrove from the killer temperatures. Small part of the group is on photo 1. After that is another shot of the same group and the last is a big crop of the bird in focus... Not good compositions but it was not about that.
And I think I will (finally;)) disappear for some days - it is not looking good with this hurricane!

Nice set ISv; hope you get through the hurricane without damage (or better yet, that the hurricane will miss your place altogether).
Bird in flight would get a completely new meaning during the hurricane ;)...
Back to your birds - funny how some species always appear in groups while others (most) are more or less solitary (long-tail tits come to mind for my area - always in groups, while all other birds forage on their own)

Keep us posted on the situation once the hurricane has passed (and communication is restored...)
Wiebe.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Nice set ISv; hope you get through the hurricane without damage (or better yet, that the hurricane will miss your place altogether).
Bird in flight would get a completely new meaning during the hurricane ;)...
Back to your birds - funny how some species always appear in groups while others (most) are more or less solitary (long-tail tits come to mind for my area - always in groups, while all other birds forage on their own)

Keep us posted on the situation once the hurricane has passed (and communication is restored...)
Wiebe.
+1 Sweet. Good luck.

Jack

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Nice picture, John.

...And Welcome to CR.
smile.png

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Thanks Click, you are obviously supportive not only for the photos (no big surprise BTW)! Thank you very much!
I think we dodge the bullet (again!) - http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/...-for-hawaii-maui-counties-as-lane-nears-state

Still some worries but not in the same scale, definitely not!

I will put some more answers in here (just to save some time and space) - Alan, I don't really know what species of Swallow Maling posted, it will be very useful to see it from other angle, or at least to know where he got the photo. For now (and just for me) it looks something like the Hirundo neoxena (Welcome swallow) from Australia or around. Very low confidence... I wish I can see more (and in better times :)). Nice photo anyway!

Upvote 0

IslanderMV

"life is for the birds"
May 1, 2012
www.bernierland.com
The birds in my area are starting to migrate to the south. I have the urge to sort of say good bye by taking picts. Here are two species of Swallow photographed in the rigging of a boat. Barn and Cliff Swallows.IMG_7401.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7395.jpg
    IMG_7395.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 93
  • IMG_7414.jpg
    IMG_7414.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 98
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
They are nice shots! The barnswallows are still breeding here, Three hungry chicks I took yesterday. I am putting the Sony RX10 IV through its paces to see if it will be the companion for my big Canon gear for our travels. So far, it's very impressive. These are small crops from the centre at 600mm equivalent and iso 1000. The effective dof of f/11 for an f/4 lens on a 1" sensor was usefulDSC01403-DxO_barnswallow_chickopenmouth.jpgDSC01407-DxO_barnswallow_3_chickopenmouths.jpg here.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The birds in my area are starting to migrate to the south. I have the urge to sort of say good bye by taking picts. Here are two species of Swallow photographed in the rigging of a boat. Barn and Cliff Swallows.

Very nice shots Jeff! I especially like the first one (although it might have gained even more expression through lifting the shadows a bit on the right side of its head); while the colours of the barn swallow and the favourable lighting make it a very close competitor :cool:
Wiebe.

Upvote 0
They are nice shots! The barnswallows are still breeding here, Three hungry chicks I took yesterday. I am putting the Sony RX10 IV through its paces to see if it will be the companion for my big Canon gear for our travels. So far, it's very impressive. These are small crops from the centre at 600mm equivalent and iso 1000. The effective dof of f/11 for an f/4 lens on a 1" sensor was useful here.

Nice shots Alan; I would not have expected this level from a superzoom "compact" - most of them get quite soft at the long end and OoF area is often not very smooth - but yours prove that it is possible to achieve quality (y) (the 1" sensor helps as it is 'big' for a compact camera...)
You don't happen to have shots with your 5DSR + 400DO-II to compare, do you ...?
Wiebe.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Wiebe, I returned an RX10 IV in June - they won’t let you test a Sony in the shop - because the lens was soft. But I tried the display model last week in a departmental store and it was so sharp that I bought it. The Zeiss 24-600mm equivalent lens (8.8 - 220mm) is incredible. At 24mm, it is sharper than my Canon lenses on my M5. At 600mm, it outresolves my 100-400mm II and my 400mm DO II on my 5DIV. The two Canon lenses just win on the 5DSR. It’s really good up to iso 800 and still not bad at 1600 with careful noise reduction. The AF is uncanny and you can use a small centre spot for small objects in a messy background. There is no CA. It’s a remarkable piece of kit. It is the only superzoom that I have come across that has really high IQ, focuses blazingly fast and can track birds in flight. Also, the f/4 lens is just wide enough not to lower the IQ significantly by diffraction as it matches the pixel size. It is very expensive but it is in a league of its own with that lens and the AF system of the A9 - it is amazing to use it at 24 fps and have it keep perfect focus at that speed.

I posted some dragonfly shots from it yesterday. Tomorrow I’ll post a comparison with the 5DSR that my wife took at the same time as me.

Upvote 0