Show your Bird Portraits

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
... at times I would like to hide in your backpack myself ;) - see some of Hawai's natural beauty - but no, the information was derived from the EXIF of one of your earlier pictures (before CR decided to strip EXIF). I'm always curious to see how / at what settings the best pictures are taken - in order to learn and improve my own work.
W.

Wiebe, since I check my backpack and didn't find anything suspicious I think you are right, you may have it from the EXIF files:D!

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Nice one, dpc.
0057.gif

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I took this one this afternoon off our back deck. The background is a bit busy but that's OK. I wouldn't mind if someone could improve my bird ID education. I'm not sure what this bird is. I'm assuming some kind of small warbler or flycatcher. I checked my Birds of Western Canada but couldn't see anything that looked like it. I probably just didn't look hard enough. Can anyone help?_36A0303_DxO copy.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I took this one this afternoon off our back deck. The background is a bit busy but that's OK. I wouldn't mind if someone could improve my bird ID education. I'm not sure what this bird is. I'm assuming some kind of small warbler or flycatcher. I checked my Birds of Western Canada but couldn't see anything that looked like it. I probably just didn't look hard enough. Can anyone help?View attachment 180587

Good shot dpc! And very cute bird!
Yeah, most of the time they dictate the background but you did what you can do in this situation: I'm not sure you could get closer to the bird (less DOF, resulting in more blur in the background) - it's watching you!
Nice shot and I think the ID that you got from your "informant" is right (but again, I don't know much about your birds...)!

Upvote 0
I took this one this afternoon off our back deck. The background is a bit busy but that's OK. I wouldn't mind if someone could improve my bird ID education. I'm not sure what this bird is. I'm assuming some kind of small warbler or flycatcher. I checked my Birds of Western Canada but couldn't see anything that looked like it. I probably just didn't look hard enough. Can anyone help?

Very nice dpc! The bird stands out very well against the background.
Seeing in your next post that it wasn't taken at the far end of your zoom range, you might have zoomed in a bit more - it wouldn't change the background from being a bit busy (as ISv noted - you can't help that, the bird decides where to sit), but it would reduce the amount of 'busy' area ;).
On the other hand it would be a pity to lose too much "context" - I really like it that you can see shape and direction of what the bird perches upon... (y)
Wiebe.

Upvote 0

tarntyke

Triumph of enthusiasm over ability
Apr 15, 2015
United Kingdom
@dpc you could try merlin bird Id app for iOS. It is by Cornell lab. It has a photo Id section where you upload a photo of your bird and input details of location, time of year and habitat etc. Obviously not perfect but helps when you don't have access to a reliable birder. Canon rumours has a wealth of people who are both expert photographers and birders and are willing to help anyone. That's why I keep on returning when I need to be amazed and inspired.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
It's an Audubon's. We have lots of yellow rumped warblers around here but I don't think I've seen this variety before, so I was unsure of the ident. I rechecked my Birds of Western Canada after my informant communicated with me, so the mystery is solved.

I would have liked to get a tighter frame on the bird, but it was moving about so frequently that I took the shot when I could. I zoomed out to catch the bird in the lens and then snapped the picture. That's a possible problem with birds and long lenses. They can be hard to find in the glass even though you can plainly see them otherwise. This is particularly so when they are moving so frequently. I missed a number of possibly good shots that afternoon just because I couldn't find the bird through the lens quickly enough. I could have cropped the picture but decided to go with what I had. Thanks for your responses. :)

Upvote 0