Show your Bird Portraits

tarntyke

Triumph of enthusiasm over ability
Apr 15, 2015
United Kingdom
Audubon's warbler is a sub-species of yellow-rumped warbler as is the Myrtle warbler. A further complication is that both sub-species can interbreed with each other and the main species. I agree with the ID of female Audobon's warbler. Congratulations on your photo and your determination to get an accurate identification

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
It's an Audubon's. We have lots of yellow rumped warblers around here but I don't think I've seen this variety before, so I was unsure of the ident. I rechecked my Birds of Western Canada after my informant communicated with me, so the mystery is solved.

I would have liked to get a tighter frame on the bird, but it was moving about so frequently that I took the shot when I could. I zoomed out to catch the bird in the lens and then snapped the picture. That's a possible problem with birds and long lenses. They can be hard to find in the glass even though you can plainly see them otherwise. This is particularly so when they are moving so frequently. I missed a number of possibly good shots that afternoon just because I couldn't find the bird through the lens quickly enough. I could have cropped the picture but decided to go with what I had. Thanks for your responses. :)

Many small birds are very energetic - jumping from branch to branch (or in the grass) in continuous search for food. I use to find the bird at lower magnification and zoom after that (not always easy). Cropping more means that your bird is spread on smaller number of pixels. You can increase the size of the bird and blur more the background by cropping but you already have lost some detail and the noise is looking worst.
Otherwise - yeah, I have been in that situation countless times and it took me time to get fit for that "sport".

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Yellow-rumped warbler this morning out on a walking trail. 7DMII + Sigma 150-600mm C. I had the focal length set to 600mm but had to do a substantial crop since the bird is small and was at some distance. I hope I have the correct ID. :)

Cool shot dpc! :cool: Lots of detail and sharpness in this head on picture, I like it (y) (also nice with those early autumn colours)
W.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Nice picture, Andy.
smile.png

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
One more hot day here, at ~ 1-2pm the birds were strictly in shade and preferably around water... At University of Hawaii campus (I had some short-time work there). Unfortunately I was followed in the location by so friendly feral cat that, I believe, scared the birds more than me (there were some Bulbuls there and they flush after the cat appeared).
I was planing two more pics here, but they do not go despite less than 1kb (and in separate post!). I may try to post them later.

Attachments

• DSC_0305_DxO.jpg
    DSC_0305_DxO.jpg
    344.8 KB · Views: 96
  • DSC_0308_DxO.jpg
    DSC_0308_DxO.jpg
    345.6 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC_0312_DxO.jpg
    DSC_0312_DxO.jpg
    343.7 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Second attempt to continue the story and wow - now it works (with the same files?!).
There was incoming noise from group of (military) choppers coming from behind of me (silenced to some extend from the building behind). The first bird flush and you can see the second one (from the previous series) is worried too. Of course it flush too but look at the next photo: did the birds figure out how to teleport themselves before the humans?! This one almost forget it's tail on the ground:unsure:!!!

Attachments

• DSC_0314_DxO.jpg
    DSC_0314_DxO.jpg
    382.9 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC_0315_DxO.jpg
    DSC_0315_DxO.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 88
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Thanks Berowne!
I personally like the fourth picture better - because of the fun:)... Otherwise it was lazy day with just short walking and practically nothing interesting (well, until the choppers appeared above:LOL:).
500mm, ISO 400, f7.1, 1/100s (on tripod, VR on "sport", head not locked), exposure correction -0.33 (for the highlights, compensated in PP with lifted shadows and mids, minimal (0.66 in PhotoLab) sharpening (RAW file) and +1contrast (due to the corrections in the shadows) that automatically makes the microcontrast 16 (minimum automatic for that ISO in this program). Distance to the object 7.94m (~26.05 feet). The bird is ~10cm long (measured when dead:cry:, alive it's slightly shorter). I write all this to satisfy some curious friends (Hi Wiebe!!!). Lifting up the microcontrast and sharpening will result in artificial "detail" and to much noise, but it's a personal preference!

Upvote 0

Berowne

... they sparkle still the right Promethean fire.
Jun 7, 2014
Thanks Berowne!
I personally like the fourth picture better - because of the fun:)... Otherwise it was lazy day with just short walking and practically nothing interesting (well, until the choppers appeared above:LOL:).
500mm, ISO 400, f7.1, 1/100s (on tripod, VR on "sport", head not locked), exposure correction -0.33 (for the highlights, compensated in PP with lifted shadows and mids, minimal (0.66 in PhotoLab) sharpening (RAW file) and +1contrast (due to the corrections in the shadows) that automatically makes the microcontrast 16 (minimum automatic for that ISO in this program). Distance to the object 7.94m (~26.05 feet). The bird is ~10cm long (measured when dead:cry:, alive it's slightly shorter). I write all this to satisfy some curious friends (Hi Wiebe!!!). Lifting up the microcontrast and sharpening will result in artificial "detail" and to much noise, but it's a personal preference!
Thanks for the technical Details, always glad to learn.

Upvote 0
Thanks Berowne!

You're very considerate ISv ;); very nice set again - perfectly exposed and sharp ... until they scrambled :p
I like the first for composition and detail, the fourth for the humour of it... Lately trying my luck at BiF I've noticed that 1/1000th is often too slow - so with 1/100th some motion blur is to be expected :unsure:;)
Wiebe.

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Wiebe, I didn't try BIF - these are to small and erratic for my skills. It just got scared from the noise above and got cought in frame during the "teleportation". I save the photo because it is funny:)!
Yeah, from my two attempts for BIF I also found 1/1000s somewhat slow. On the place where I took these photos you have to increase the ISO to levels not appropriate for crop camera - It's very shady there.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Yellow-rumped warbler this morning out on a walking trail. 7DMII + Sigma 150-600mm C. I had the focal length set to 600mm but had to do a substantial crop since the bird is small and was at some distance. I hope I have the correct ID. :)View attachment 180604
Second attempt to continue the story and wow - now it works (with the same files?!).
There was incoming noise from group of (military) choppers coming from behind of me (silenced to some extend from the building behind). The first bird flush and you can see the second one (from the previous series) is worried too. Of course it flush too but look at the next photo: did the birds figure out how to teleport themselves before the humans?! This one almost forget it's tail on the ground:unsure:!!!
My iPad has difficulties handling the thumbnails that have to be enlarged. It would be helpful if you uploaded the full image. Thanks
Alan

Upvote 0