Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

jmeyer

http://www.jeremymeyer.photography
CR Pro
Dec 11, 2014
Wisconsin
jeremymeyer.photography
Here are a few plover images from a local beach. Living along Lake Michigan, I'm lucky enough to see the Piping Plovers in spring/fall when they pass through, even though there are less than 30 breeding in Wisconsin. Usually they are banded, but these two weren't. All photos taken with 7Dmkii / EF500 f4 / 1.4xiii. First three are of the Piping Plover and Last four are Semipalmated Plover

Jeremy

Piping Plover (1st fall) 100.jpgPiping Plover (1st fall) 101.jpgPiping Plover (1st fall) 102.jpgSemipalmated Plover (1st fall) 100.jpgSemipalmated Plover (1st fall) 102.jpgSemipalmated Plover (1st fall) 104.jpgSemipalmated Plover (1st fall) 105.jpg

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
WOW!!! A lot of fantastic photos - Bundu, Click, Alan, Islander MV, dpc, Snappy 604, jmeyer and durf - nice to see them - all!!!
My (just personal - just because they are shore birds) favorites are that Hudsonian (Islander MV0) and the Pipping plover (Jmeyer)!!!
Here it's hot and not normally humid. I took just easy trip into some parks (there are huge trees there where one can take a temporary refuge at least from the sunlight). Nothing interesting except the last two photos - I will send the last two in separate post - I need some advise with them!DSC_0374_DxO.jpgDSC_0388_DxO-1.jpgDSC_0397_DxO.jpg

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
And the last two - kind of special. Like photos they are miserable, but like a species they cold be really nice if I'm right: my first attention was attracted by the ~ short legs (well - in grass!), after that it was the primaries protruding so far from the tip of the tail! Then I started shooting. At home I also figure out that I see 4 (almost 5) primaries protruding behind the tertials! It looks liked American Golden Plover. The problem is that it has never been reported for the islands!!!
So, the bottom line is I need some advise from people that have seen this species (and I know there a lot of them on CR!)!

Attachments

• DSC_0378_DxO.jpg
    DSC_0378_DxO.jpg
    437 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC_0379_DxO.jpg
    DSC_0379_DxO.jpg
    507.1 KB · Views: 109
Upvote 0
Excellent sets, Jeff - dpc - snappy and Jeremy!
Jeff (@IslanderMV) and Jeremy (@jmeyer) - nice lighting! Some luck + making the best possible use of it :)(y)
@dpc - despite the dark plumage you managed to keep a lot of detail in it; well done (y)
@snappy604 (and @jmeyer) - talking about "capturing the moment"; you succeeded! ;)(y)
Wiebe.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

jmeyer

CR Pro
Dec 11, 2014
Wisconsin
jeremymeyer.photography
A lot depends on where you are, location wise. It could be an American Golden or Pacific Golden. There is also the euro vagrant as well, that would probably show up along the coasts, before inland. At one point they were subspecies, so telling them apart isn't always possible from a photo, especially in the fall with molting plumages.

Jeremy

Upvote 0
And the last two - kind of special. Like photos they are miserable, but like a species they cold be really nice if I'm right: my first attention was attracted by the ~ short legs (well - in grass!), after that it was the primaries protruding so far from the tip of the tail! Then I started shooting. At home I also figure out that I see 4 (almost 5) primaries protruding behind the tertials! It looks liked American Golden Plover. The problem is that it has never been reported for the islands!!!
So, the bottom line is I need some advise from people that have seen this species (and I know there a lot of them on CR!)!

Hi ISv, without reading your comment I was looking at the pictures first - first idea was that I was looking at Golden Plovers, they are remarkably similar to the European Golden Plover in non-breeding plumage. So - it could very well be that your identification is correct, the American Golden Plover in non-breeding plumage looks a lot like its European sibling and those feather patterns are very distinct / unique...
Very nice shots from the park btw. :)
Wiebe.

Upvote 0

jmeyer

CR Pro
Dec 11, 2014
Wisconsin
jeremymeyer.photography
To follow up on my previous post, I asked a few of the top bird IDers in Wisconsin and they say American Golden Plover. Here is the exact quote from one. "It looks American. Good shot of the tail and the long primary projections. At least 4 primary tips visible which makes it American." Congrats on a great find for you, and getting great photos!

Jeremy

Upvote 0