Show your Bird Portraits

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
To follow up on my previous post, I asked a few of the top bird IDers in Wisconsin and they say American Golden Plover. Here is the exact quote from one. "It looks American. Good shot of the tail and the long primary projections. At least 4 primary tips visible which makes it American." Congrats on a great find for you, and getting great photos!

Jeremy
Thanks Jeremy!
I didn't try to get "good photos", I tried to take photos good for ID. I know the differences between the golden plovers. I have never seen only the American (I have seen the Eurasian back in Europe, the Black-belied and the Pacific - here).
The location is Hawaii, Oahu. We have countless Pacific Golden Plovers and few Black-belied but the American and the Eurasian are still not reported for Hawaii. I sent the pics to one of the best birders here and he on his side send it to Peter Pyle. Now we are anxious waiting for the answer:). So far all seems to agree for AGP!
Thanks again!
ISv

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Hi ISv, without reading your comment I was looking at the pictures first - first idea was that I was looking at Golden Plovers, they are remarkably similar to the European Golden Plover in non-breeding plumage. So - it could very well be that your identification is correct, the American Golden Plover in non-breeding plumage looks a lot like its European sibling and those feather patterns are very distinct / unique...
Very nice shots from the park btw. :)
Wiebe.
Thanks Wiebe!
In non breeding the American Golden Plover is more grayish on the back. The bird on my photos is in transition from breeding to non-breeding plumage (and had a few remaining black spots on the breast) and this is making the ID little bit more difficult.
I had time for only 4 shots (there was a girl with a dog approaching from left) and the bird was visibly agitated...

Upvote 0
Not many chances for birds lately, but here is a small one :)
1DX Sigma 150-600C @ 600mm

NIL_1107_.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
And my wife is trying to persuade me to buy a dog.:(

Jack
:D! Well, you still can but don't take it with you when taking photos of wildlife.

We just bought a dog (puppy...) and trust me, you won't even have time to go out taking wildlife pictures :LOL::p (see some pictures in "Animal Kingdom" - "My Dog")
Wiebe.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Jack,
Dogs give a lot of pleasure. BUT, they tie you down. I have two at home. When we travel, we have to look for sitters, cost almost as much for that as traveling.
The smaller of out two is a killer, loving, cute and smart.
Better get a un-mirror or mirrored camera. ;)
-r
If I show these photos, that's it for me. We like to travel with the motorhome and I can't imagine hiking with a dog like that left behind cooped up! :cry:

Riley, I already have that problem for our African Grey but so far my daughter keeps him. I wouldn't have the heart to include a dog. It's kind of sad since I grew up with and love dogs.

Jack

Upvote 0