Show your Bird Portraits

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Arrived this morning in Kuwait City on the overnight flight from London. I threw in a small camera in case I saw any birds. The grounds of the hotel proved to be promising with plenty of pigeons and doves, and then I came across some very skittish Hoopoes and had to work hard to get some shots. For the first time, I got one with full head dress.DSC03614-DxO_hoopoe_closest.jpgDSC03636-DxO_hoopoe_headdress.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
And I have some from today. The goal was to monitor the Golden plover that I posted before - we need to see it after the complete transition to non breeding plumage in order to be 100% sure it is the American Golden Plover. The primaries and the flying feathers of the tail are still so worn for definite ID.
Succeed to take a photo of it's right side too (no new info there). And two photos of Yellow-fronted canary - it got in my way when I was chasing the plover:)!DSC_0491_DxO.jpgDSC_0606_DxO.jpgDSC_0549_DxO.jpgDSC_0564_DxO.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Nice bonus to be able to spot and shoot those birds when travelling Alan! Very nice pictures of Hoopoe, Shrike and Bulbul (y)

Nice sets of the unidentified golden plover ;) and the yellow fronted canary ISv! As for the Golden Plover - if you are not able to positively identify it, there can only be few people left with the knowledge to do so... (my identification stopped at "golden plover, any variant"...)
W.

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Nice bonus to be able to spot and shoot those birds when travelling Alan! Very nice pictures of Hoopoe, Shrike and Bulbul (y)

Nice sets of the unidentified golden plover ;) and the yellow fronted canary ISv! As for the Golden Plover - if you are not able to positively identify it, there can only be few people left with the knowledge to do so... (my identification stopped at "golden plover, any variant"...)
W.

Thanks Wiebe! There are better birders (incl. professional ornithologist) engaged with this plover now.

Upvote 0

jmeyer

http://www.jeremymeyer.photography
CR Pro
Dec 11, 2014
Wisconsin
jeremymeyer.photography
Thanks Click! Do not worry - nobody can ID it with 100% confidence right now. It"s why we are waiting for it's full transition to the new plumage.

I asked several people here, in Wisconsin, and based on your photos, they said American because the photo has a good shot of the tail and long primary projections, with at least 4 primary tips visible. A Pacific would only show 3 primary tips. Pass this info along in case others are missing it. Would this be a first sighting for Hawaii? Keep posting updates please or at least message me. Thank you.

Jeremy

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Jack, Life isn't fair! Just by fluke I have arrived in bird migration week and am being collected at 5am tomorrow morning to go to a good spot. Had I known, I would have brought my best Canon gear rather than the bridge camera, although it is great for closer up in better light.

Got this spotted flycatcher this evening, at dusk and backlit. DSC04051-DxO_spottedflycatcherSH.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0