Show your Bird Portraits

HB

Jan 6, 2016
There is no doubt as to why this thread goes on, great images just keep on coming.
A pair of sparrowhawks are visiting my garden regularly, The male is very wary, the shot uploaded was taken through the kitchen window. The female came in and perched quite contentedly on the top of the bird feed bucket and allowed me time to go and fetch the camera, all this despite me wearing bright orange overalls and just a few feet away, extraordinary..

Attachments

• Sparrowhawk, Male.1.jpg
    Sparrowhawk, Male.1.jpg
    876.9 KB · Views: 89
  • Sparrowhawk.female...jpg
    Sparrowhawk.female...jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 92
  • Sparrowhawk.Female....jpg
    Sparrowhawk.Female....jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 98
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I assume the cats and mongeese are not predating the rats enough? Need to bring in the snakes....I’m kidding
No, they go after easier pray - birds!
There is no doubt as to why this thread goes on, great images just keep on coming.
A pair of sparrowhawks are visiting my garden regularly, The male is very wary, the shot uploaded was taken through the kitchen window. The female came in and perched quite contentedly on the top of the bird feed bucket and allowed me time to go and fetch the camera, all this despite me wearing bright orange overalls and just a few feet away, extraordinary..

Very nice shots from everybody!
HB, you got it just right: "There is no doubt as to why this thread goes on..."

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
My trip yesterday was complete disaster - didn't see the birds that I was looking for. Fortunately on my way home decided to stop at the zoo - to try better photo of the male of the Violet-backed starling (and to avoid coming home with empty memory card:(). Very tricky bird, always hiding in the brush.
Got some better portraits of the Turaco.DSC_2185_DxO.jpgDSC_1874_DxO.jpgDSC_1894_DxO.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
And two more - Green Wood Hoopoe and Spotted Thick knee. The last one shot trough a net (they have there huge cages around the main one, the birds from these cages are not aloud to get between the visitors). I succeed +/- to isolate the front net but the net behind of the bird is really annoying even after some work in DxO PL... Very interesting bird.DSC_1969_DxO.jpgDSC_1989_DxO.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Haven't been able to find the time / create the opportunity to go out myself, but here I find so many excellent shots...
@HB - very nice set of the sparrowhawk; what a fierce look the female has when watching into the camera ;)
Jeff (@IslanderMV) - excellent set of the red-tail hawk, the first one is beautiful (for lack of better words...); the way it is focused on its prey
@ISv - pity you weren't able to find the birds you were looking for, that's animals in the wild right - never obediently waiting for you :(;). Nevertheless you brought a nice set home from the zoo :) and from your neighbourhood!
@bhf3737 - nice pictures; does the EOS-R work well for you with these bird pictures? (EVF and AF and so on?)
Wiebe.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Thanks Click, in the Zoo it's easier...
This one is from my neighborhood - today.

Lovely shot, ISv.
0057.gif

Upvote 0
[...]
@bhf3737 - nice pictures; does the EOS-R work well for you with these bird pictures? (EVF and AF and so on?)
Wiebe.
Thanks! EVF has been excellent (i.e., responsive, bright and all info such as histogram are shown). The AF with EF lenses is similar to 5D4 with longer lenses such as 70-300L and 100-400mm LII and I couldn't find anything against it. A rather obvious shortcoming is tracking fast moving objects such as birds in fly, partially because of my skills. We shouldn't forget that this camera is not meant to be a dedicated birding/sports camera. Overall, EOS-R seems to be a nice everyday and a bit of everything shooting camera. I usually use it comfortably with two 24-70 and 70-300 lenses and it can cover the range I'm interested in.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0