Very nice series, ISv.
0057.gif
Thanks Click!

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Back from Safari in Tanzania - missed some good postings here while I was away without internet access. Have taken so many photos it will take a month to process them. Here are a few from day 1, Nov 4, Arusha National Park: whinchat; fiscal shrike;small beeeater and bee; steppe buzzard; and brownhooded kingfisher.
2B4A1665-DxO_whinchat+CR.jpg2B4A1685-DxO_fiscal_CR.jpg2B4A1808-DxO_smallbeeeater+bee_CR.jpg2B4A2061-DxO_steppebuzzard_CR.jpg2B4A2276-DxO_brownhooded_kingfisher_CR.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
A bird has a cardiovascular system specialized to protect its feet in the cold, but these boys and girls look pretty chilly standing on a frozen pond in February.View attachment 181677
dpc, you gave me interesting puzzle (and nice photo, but the puzzle is what wake me up in the Thanksgiving evening:): I see an American Wigeon, an Eurasian Wigeon ? (3th bird from left to right) and I have a problem with the second bird from left to right: just that white spot on the chick... whithout it it could be a Malard (?) or kind of hybrid?! If you have more photos, in different angles - I would be happy to see them!

Upvote 0
dpc, you gave me interesting puzzle (and nice photo, but the puzzle is what wake me up in the Thanksgiving evening:): I see an American Wigeon, an Eurasian Wigeon ? (3th bird from left to right) and I have a problem with the second bird from left to right: just that white spot on the chick... whithout it it could be a Malard (?) or kind of hybrid?! If you have more photos, in different angles - I would be happy to see them!

Sorry, I don't have another photo to illuminate the question. I hadn't thought about that bird. My guess is that it's a female mallard, although I can't explain the white spot. Perhaps a quirk in the exposure? :)

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Sorry, I don't have another photo to illuminate the question. I hadn't thought about that bird. My guess is that it's a female mallard, although I can't explain the white spot. Perhaps a quirk in the exposure? :)
No, there is no way this is a female mallard (you probably misspell it for a "male"?). And the exposure has nothing to do with this (your exposure is very good!): the highlights are not blown away, there is some color there.
Very interesting...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
No, there is no way this is a female mallard (you probably misspell it for a "male"?). And the exposure has nothing to do with this (your exposure is very good!): the highlights are not blown away, there is some color there.
Very interesting...

Well, I've done a little bit of research (I emphasize 'little'). The bird's orange and black bill and dark eye line coupled with the wing patch does suggest a female mallard. I looked at pictures of female mallards and noted some with lighter coloured throats, although not as extensive as the one in the picture I posted. I looked through the ducks in my Birds of Western Canada and couldn't find anything else that might fit the general description. :)

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Alan, I'd be interested in some commentary on what pieces of gear got used and when and what you might have perceived were things you lacked in this regard. I never bought my replacement for the 6D I sold and am biding my time for now since something interesting might be around the corner.;)

Jack

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Alan, I'd be interested in some commentary on what pieces of gear got used and when and what you might have perceived were things you lacked in this regard. I never bought my replacement for the 6D I sold and am biding my time for now since something interesting might be around the corner.;)

Jack
We had 4 cameras between us, 5DSR + 100-400mm II and an Olympus TG5 for my wife and the 5DIV + 400mm DO II and Sony RX10 IV for me, plus extenders. The safari travel was in a Toyota Landcruiser with a pop-up roof. Anything larger than our lenses would have been difficult to manage. For much of the time, we were focal length limited and also had to pick out small birds hiding in foliage or on the ground. With extenders, the 5DIV at 800mm with the DO and the 5DSR at 560mm with the zoom performed brilliantly. In terms of IQ and resolution, there were insignificant differences between them. Ideally, I would have preferred to use the 5DSR + 400mm DO II + 1.4xTC. On other occasions, birds were so close or large animals were near and my wife could zoom out and I grabbed the Sony 24-600mm equivalent (or she the Olympus). I did some BIF at 800mm but the 5DIV at 400mm f/4 is much better.

The lesson for me is that I could manage well in future with just the 5DSR and 100-400mm II and 1.4xTC, with the Sony or a compact as an adjunct for wide angle. The 100-400mm zoom is essential. For future purchases, I would get a 7DII successor if it lacked an AA-filter but I would not not get one if they stick to having them - we had no Moire with the 5DSR in 3,500 shots, and the superb performance of the 5DSR is enhanced by the lack of filter. I also would buy a 5DSRII. I don't know how narrow a centre spot focus you can get with mirrorless and if the focus is too wide, like with my M5, it would be too limiting for me.

Our travelling companions were excellent birders. One used a 7DII and Tamron 150-600mm, which was outperformed by then 5DSR and 100-400mm II ± TC, and the other a Nikon D7200 and 300mm f/4 PF, which was a nice light combo that performed well but was too short on focal length for the far away small birds.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0