Show your Bird Portraits

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Alan, that's very insightful and valuable. Thanks! I suspected that a zoom could be very handy given chickadee sized birds can be sitting beside elephant sized animals. And the travel situation is so much different than I experience at home, not being air travel etc.

Wow, must be a holiday to cherish for a life time!! Care to comment about some of the associated pains in the neck relative to accommodation, travel, cost etc.?

Jack

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Nice picture, ISv.
smile.png

Upvote 0
Nothing from the birds this weekend, just Pacific Golden Plover

Very nice one ISv!
It is so special to see these birds perform as a flock 'in flight' - changing from dark to gold in an instant when the flock changes direction (especially when the sun is low on the horizon). I've witnessed flocks of European Golden Plovers perform their aerobatics - something you can hardly capture in a single image (at least capabilities beyond mine are needed for that :cry:;)).
Beautiful as they may be 'stationary', those aerobatics really captured my attention (and fondness) for these golden plovers :)
W.

Upvote 0
Here are a couple of recent owl shots taken with the 5DS, Great horned owl is taken using the 500mm with the 1.4 teleconverter and the Barred owl is with the 500mm. Both shots are handheld at ISO 1600 since I was waiting for them to fly.

Majestic Horned Owl by Barry Scully, on Flickr

Barred on Post by Barry Scully, on Flickr

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

bjd

Aug 29, 2011
Ever seen a group of Common Mergansers acting as a team to "herd" fish into a corner where they can be picked off more easily?

I hadn't until I visited the Lago Maggiore a few weeks ago. I also put thos pics into a Flickr album FWIW:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmrkM9Ct

Other Birds tried to put up a fight against the Mergansers but to no avail, they ignored Great Egrets, Swans, Gulls etc.

Cheers Brian

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Ever seen a group of Common Mergansers acting as a team to "herd" fish into a corner where they can be picked off more easily?

I hadn't until I visited the Lago Maggiore a few weeks ago. I also put thos pics into a Flickr album FWIW:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmrkM9Ct

Other Birds tried to put up a fight against the Mergansers but to no avail, they ignored Great Egrets, Swans, Gulls etc.

Cheers Brian

Wow, what a group of great varied and interesting shots!

Jack

Upvote 0