Show your Bird Portraits

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Jack
I like the IQ from the 5DSR so much I would go for either a 50 mpx 5 series II or R series without an AA-filter or an APS-C 7III or R equivalent with 20-24mpx without a filter. I’d couple those with a 100-400mm II for travel. For lighter weight still and smaller size, the Sony RX10IV is unbeatable. But, the current Canon combo of the 5DSR and 100-400mm II (plus 1.4xTC) keeps me very happy. For heavier weight, as you know, I like the 400mm DO II. A 400mm ER f/5.6 would be exciting to go with a new R series for light weight but the current zoom is so good and flexible. Canon needs to make a competitor to the Nikon D850 and the lightweight Nikkor lenses.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Thanks Alan. I think I'm with you on the advice you're passing. I too have not waned in love for the 400 but it's so big for travel. We are, in fact, tentatively lining up a trip to Costa Rica in March but it won't be guided. Out of the blue came an opportunity to volunteer for a church project of an expansion of a school in Guayabo. Not inexpensive but a good cause and some spin-off opportunities after getting to know some local folk. Having an Hispanic wife will help too.

I'm guessing I'd kick myself if I didn't have my usual 800mm, especially since I'm limited to 20 MP. Now is it possible another Canon camera will arrive before March - not likely. Buy that Sony?? I didn't like Nikon's ergonomics so how would I enjoy Sony?

Jack

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Thanks Alan. I think I'm with you on the advice you're passing. I too have not waned in love for the 400 but it's so big for travel. We are, in fact, tentatively lining up a trip to Costa Rica in March but it won't be guided. Out of the blue came an opportunity to volunteer for a church project of an expansion of a school in Guayabo. Not inexpensive but a good cause and some spin-off opportunities after getting to know some local folk. Having an Hispanic wife will help too.

I'm guessing I'd kick myself if I didn't have my usual 800mm, especially since I'm limited to 20 MP. Now is it possible another Canon camera will arrive before March - not likely. Buy that Sony?? I didn't like Nikon's ergonomics so how would I enjoy Sony?

Jack
Either send us a selfie of kicking yourself or take the mighty 1DXII + 400mm.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Thanks click.

Alan, it's good to hear your words because I really wonder/worry about everything except having it there would be my greatest pleasure and not probably my greatest regret. I recall long ago in Peru wondering if gear was safe even in a reputable hotel. We had one theft when we were told we had to deposit our bag in a "secure" location upon entering a store. The camcorder was like a ball and chain on a convict, but used lots.

So, I take the 1DX2, 400, both extenders and then only the 24-70 leaving behind 11-24, 70-200 and the video Zhiyun gimbal and camera tripod?? I'm pretty stunned by the smooth 4k video I can produce walking around with the gimbal but it's another travel case.

Lovely eagle. Did you do anything other than photography there?;)

Jack

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Very nice photos in the last postings!
My hike today started bad - no (interesting) birds, later some low clouds came above to make the light even worst. On my descending from the top (4h later and ~30 min. before the rain come) - look what happen: Erckel's Francolin!DSC_3514_DxO-1.jpgFrancolinus erckelii - Erckel's Francolin 2.jpgFrancolinus erckelii - Erckel's Francolin 3.jpg I see this bird firs time in my life!!! Bad light and very low speeds but I feel happy!

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Hello ArunP,

Very nice picture...

....And welcome to CR.
smile.png

Upvote 0