Show your Bird Portraits

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Nice shot Jack, yes that is a Palm Warbler.Check out https://www.allaboutbirds.org they have a great site for Bird ID.

Thanks ArunP and jprusa. I do know about the site but sometimes I just fall back into old habits of grabbing a book. I've got a few warblers that are driving me nuts but I guess I'm not alone - seems they are just more challenging than many birds.

It's dawned on me that when it comes to difficult ID a person should just fire away rather than be waiting for the "nice" pose since the different angles can be quite helpful. The downside is later culling many shots. Am I alone in this regard - culling shots still from 2013!?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
It's dawned on me that when it comes to difficult ID a person should just fire away rather than be waiting for the "nice" pose since the different angles can be quite helpful. The downside is later culling many shots. Am I alone in this regard - culling shots still from 2013!?

No, you are not alone in this regard Jack:D! With rare or questionable birds I first shoot, later ask. And if I have a time I even look for composition:). It results always in a lot of crap photos (but rather good for ID!)! Good to remember: it always helps to know what you are looking for, what are the most important features for ID in that particular group of birds.

Alan, Jack and Jeremy - very nice shots guys! Congratulations Jeremy - I hope you are happy with the new bird in your collection (and great shots BTW)!

Upvote 0

jmeyer

http://www.jeremymeyer.photography
CR Pro
Dec 11, 2014
Wisconsin
jeremymeyer.photography
Thanks ArunP and jprusa. I do know about the site but sometimes I just fall back into old habits of grabbing a book. I've got a few warblers that are driving me nuts but I guess I'm not alone - seems they are just more challenging than many birds.

Fall warblers are some of the hardest birds to ID. There is so much variance from first year birds to adults, that it confuses a lot of very knowledgeable birders. If you ever have ID questions about warblers, feel free to PM me and I will help you out.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

jmeyer

http://www.jeremymeyer.photography
CR Pro
Dec 11, 2014
Wisconsin
jeremymeyer.photography
No, you are not alone in this regard Jack:D! With rare or questionable birds I first shoot, later ask. And if I have a time I even look for composition:). It results always in a lot of crap photos (but rather good for ID!)! Good to remember: it always helps to know what you are looking for, what are the most important features for ID in that particular group of birds.

Alan, Jack and Jeremy - very nice shots guys! Congratulations Jeremy - I hope you are happy with the new bird in your collection (and great shots BTW)!

Thank you! I'm extremely happy with the photos I obtained and was able to watch it for about 50 minutes, in its habit.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Nice selfie Alan. ;) Here's a wild turkey posing in the "meadow" behind our house. Sometimes ugly can look kinda cool. I was able to take a bunch of photos without him moving much. I was lucky enough to catch his nictitating membrane, third eyelid, in different stages of deployment.
The series works well indeed. Usually, the membrane spoils mine!

Upvote 0