Show your Bird Portraits

digigal

Traveling the world one step at a time.
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014
Absolutely superb, Catherine!
Did you have to go out in a Zodiac to take the photo? What camera and lens did you use?
Alan
Absolutely superb, Catherine!
Did you have to go out in a Zodiac to take the photo? What camera and lens did you use?
Alan
We went down on the Russian icebreaker, the Captain Khlebnikov, then flew in on helicopters, and then hiked in a mile with our gear. The Emperors nest on fast ice (ice that is attached to land) so they never "officially" set foot on land their whole lives. I used a 7DMII and a 100-400 II or the new 70-200/f4 II for all my shots. I tried taking my M5 but didn't work because of the glare. Artie Morris was on the same trip with his GF.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
We went down on the Russian icebreaker, the Captain Khlebnikov, then flew in on helicopters, and then hiked in a mile with our gear. The Emperors nest on fast ice (ice that is attached to land) so they never "officially" set foot on land their whole lives. I used a 7DMII and a 100-400 II or the new 70-200/f4 II for all my shots. I tried taking my M5 but didn't work because of the glare. Artie Morris was on the same trip with his GF.

That's very interesting as Art Morris complained bitterly on his blog about the boat, and he normally enthuses. I recall he wrote that you couldn't take photos from the boat as it was too rocky. Is that so?

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
A female Downy Woodpecker from today in Texas (5D iv, 70-200 2.8L ii, 1.4x iii; 265mm, ISO 1600, F5.6, 1/125)View attachment 182436
Lovely picture. I see lots of them up here in Canada, and have even had one land in my hand looking for a treat.

44C71AF1-5B71-4B9C-9586-B48997F59D90.jpeg

I mounted a branch beside the bird feeders and drilled some holes into it to hold shelled sunflower seeds. This get them land I close to me for a treat. I even have a comfy chair to sit in while I wait. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

digigal

CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014
That's very interesting as Art Morris complained bitterly on his blog about the boat, and he normally enthuses. I recall he wrote that you couldn't take photos from the boat as it was too rocky. Is that so?
He was right about not being able to take any pictures!! This was my 4th trip to Antarctica and because it was on a flat bottomed icebreaker it was the roughest across the Drake I've ever had. I was sitting in my room and the chair I was in was thrown over and I hit my head and hip on the floor--thankfully not breaking anything!. This picture was taken from our window and I've got tons more like it. Boats with a keel are more stable so they manage the waves and seas better.
But, I have to say, Artie's a bit of a whiner, I'm older than he is and didn't have the luxury of someone else carrying my gear out and back. This trips' express purpose was to go to the Emperors and it requires an icebreaker which is not good in rough seas and that's the definition of the Drake. Boats with a keel handle the Drake much better and allow for deck photography but they won't get you to the Emperors. You pay your money and you take your choice!!
Crossing the Drake
1546647572440.jpeg

On the ice
1546648396569.jpeg

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

jmeyer

http://www.jeremymeyer.photography
CR Pro
Dec 11, 2014
Wisconsin
jeremymeyer.photography
I know it's winter now, but I finally edited some fall warbler photos! All taken with 7D mkii / EF500 f4 / 1.4xiii.

Bay-breasted Warbler (1st fall)
Blackpoll Warbler (1st fall)
Cape May Warbler (female-1st fall)
Chestnut-sided Warbler (1st fall)
Magnolia Warbler (1st fall)
Nashville Warbler (1st fall)
Northern Parula (1st fall)
Tennessee Warbler (1st fall)
Wilson's Warbler (1st fall)

Jeremy

Bay-breasted Warbler (1st fall) 105.jpgBlackpoll Warbler (1st fall) 114.jpgCape May Warbler (female-1st fall) 100.jpgChestnut-sided Warbler (1st fall) 106.jpgMagnolia Warbler (1st fall) 116.jpgNashville Warbler (1st fall) 101.jpgNorthern Parula (1st fall) 106.jpgTennessee Warbler (1st fall) 113.jpgWilson's Warbler (1st fall) 106.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
He was right about not being able to take any pictures!! This was my 4th trip to Antarctica and because it was on a flat bottomed icebreaker it was the roughest across the Drake I've ever had. I was sitting in my room and the chair I was in was thrown over and I hit my head and hip on the floor--thankfully not breaking anything!. This picture was taken from our window and I've got tons more like it. Boats with a keel are more stable so they manage the waves and seas better.
But, I have to say, Artie's a bit of a whiner, I'm older than he is and didn't have the luxury of someone else carrying my gear out and back. This trips' express purpose was to go to the Emperors and it requires an icebreaker which is not good in rough seas and that's the definition of the Drake. Boats with a keel handle the Drake much better and allow for deck photography but they won't get you to the Emperors. You pay your money and you take your choice!!
Crossing the Drake
View attachment 182447

On the ice
View attachment 182448
Thanks for the account. He did mention someone was thrown across a room. It’s a small world. It was worth it for that marvellous shot!

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Absolutely awesome photos! mikekeck, Catherine, Don and Jmeyer - great shots guys!
Jmeyer - this is really nicely done series (especially concidering the usual behavior of these birds)!
After such a great shots I was hesitating to post my more than humble contribution, especially because both birds are more than common around...
White-rumped Shama and Common Waxbill.DSC_4418_DxO.jpgDSC_4458_DxO.jpgDSC_4464_DxO.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

digigal

CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014
Great Warblers, Jeremy. I don't have the patience to photograph them, but they and the kinglets are so sweet. I get some through my garden and enjoy watching them.
ISv, I just love that Common Waxbill--for a bird that beautiful you would think the ornithologist could come up with a better name!
Catherine

Upvote 0

digigal

CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014
Just packing to fly to Florida for a couple of weeks to use up some BA airmiles, a circular tour beginning and ending in Orlando. Decided to travel light, just the 5DSR + 100-400mm II for me and the Sony RX10IV for my wife as we hope to spend most of the time walking around nature reserves and some sightseeing. Hope to do some posting.
Enjoy the birds--there are lots of resident ones and I don't know if some of the early nesters will be starting to stake out territory and gathering nesting materials yet. Seems like that starts around March but it's been a long time since I've been there. We head to Tanzania the first of Feb for the birthing season and to look for predators and I'll do a stop in Arusha looking for flamingos.
Catherine

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Enjoy the birds--there are lots of resident ones and I don't know if some of the early nesters will be starting to stake out territory and gathering nesting materials yet. Seems like that starts around March but it's been a long time since I've been there. We head to Tanzania the first of Feb for the birthing season and to look for predators and I'll do a stop in Arusha looking for flamingos.
Catherine
We had a fantastic time in Tanzania in November, birding from dawn to dusk for a solid 14 days, and spent a couple of days in Arusha and saw greater and lesser flamingos.

Upvote 0

jmeyer

http://www.jeremymeyer.photography
CR Pro
Dec 11, 2014
Wisconsin
jeremymeyer.photography
Thank you everyone! Warblers are my favorite! I'm lucky enough to have close to 40 species pass through my state in the spring and fall. Most of the times I can get within a few feet of them. It's so rewarding and peaceful being so close to nature!

Jeremy

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0