Show your Bird Portraits

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Thanks ISV, indeed we are in the deep freeze. My fingers freeze even in pretty warm mittens.

I've finally made the firm decision to go to Costa Rica from March 25 to April 12 and of course birds will be high on the list as well as all the natural wonders. I've received some good advice from Lalumiere and Riley and will be most happy to hear from anyone else in this thread who may have tips on anything at all, really. Not a great traveller outside of North America other than long ago to Argentina and Peru. Fortunately my wife speaks Spanish.

The security of gear and our personal safety is somewhat of a concern but the consensus seems to be that it's one of the safer places in Central America. I have one bag that is perfect for the 1DX2 mounted to the 400 DO and extenders but beyond that I'm not sure of what I'll carry and how. Hiking will be high on the list as opposed to sunbathing but the heat and humidity may be tough for me as an asthmatic.

Jack

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Well, I have never been in Costa Rica, but one of our last students was from Costa Rica. Her father is a doctor and supposedly knows the situation there. As soon as I can get in touch with her I will let you know (could be usefull or may be not, but it's what I can do...).

One never knows where good tips will come from so it never hurts to ask. So thanks ISV. 2015 was my last good bird shooting holiday so I'm overdue.:)

Jack

Upvote 0

jmeyer

http://www.jeremymeyer.photography
CR Pro
Dec 11, 2014
Wisconsin
jeremymeyer.photography
I had a chance to get out last Sunday, before the extreme cold came through. It was still in the single digits, but better than -30 we had on Wednesday and Thursday. There was a beautiful male White-winged Scoter at the Port Washington power plant. He was extremely close and gave great views on that day. All taken with 7D mkii / EF500 F4 / 1.4xiii.

Jeremy

White-winged Scoter (male-winter) 100.jpgWhite-winged Scoter (male-winter) 104.jpgWhite-winged Scoter (male-winter) 105.jpgWhite-winged Scoter (male-winter) 107.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

jmeyer

http://www.jeremymeyer.photography
CR Pro
Dec 11, 2014
Wisconsin
jeremymeyer.photography
Today, the birds were quite active, with temps in the mid 40's, almost 70 degrees warmer than three days ago! My suet and peanut feeders are in a pine tree, only about 25' from my door. I can usually stand right out there and they don't mind me. Today was one of those days. Brown Creeper, Red-breasted Nuthatch, and White-breasted Nuthatch. Taken with 7d mkii / EF 500 F4 / 1.4xiii

JeremyBrown Creeper (winter) 100.jpgBrown Creeper (winter) 101.jpgRed-breasted Nuthatch (male-winter) 100.jpgRed-breasted Nuthatch (male-winter) 101.jpgWhite-breasted Nuthatch 116.jpg

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0