Show your Bird Portraits

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
A couple of small birds from there, common the other side of the pond, but not for us Brits.

View attachment 183151View attachment 183152
Alan, I love the photo of the Northern Mocingbird. No idea how did you crop it but if you give it some air in front - if there is a room for this off course (just to free it from the cage!)... And Yeah - that dry branch in front of the bird... I wish I know a program that be able to eliminate it (shades on the bird can stay)...

Upvote 0

jmeyer

http://www.jeremymeyer.photography
CR Pro
Dec 11, 2014
Wisconsin
jeremymeyer.photography
Today I went to Shamrock Nature Center in hopes of finally finding the Florida Scrub Jay. I got all the way to the water canal on the north end and found them on the other side. I also saw a Loggerhead Shrike on the other side as well! I decided to walk back to the car and drive all the way around and then walk 2.5 miles, one way to where they were. I'm glad I did, because I got great looks at both birds, and both were firsts for me. There ended up being 8 Scrub Jays, with a pair building a nest. I was lucky enough to feed acorns to a couple of them, right from my hand. He also flew up and landed on my head, very exciting!

Jeremy

Florida Scrub-Jay 100.jpgFlorida Scrub-Jay 101.jpgFlorida Scrub-Jay 102.jpgFlorida Scrub-Jay 104.jpgLoggerhead Shrike 100.jpgLoggerhead Shrike 101.jpgLoggerhead Shrike 102.jpgLoggerhead Shrike 103.jpg

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Alan, I love the photo of the Northern Mocingbird. No idea how did you crop it but if you give it some air in front - if there is a room for this off course (just to free it from the cage!)... And Yeah - that dry branch in front of the bird... I wish I know a program that be able to eliminate it (shades on the bird can stay)...

It was cropped according to the rule of thirds, with the eye in the optimal position to draw attention to it against the blue light - it was meant to be a composition showing the bird surrounded by colours in a natural background, and I didn't want to lose the bird. I had taken several of mockingbirds in different locations in Florida against the sky last month , and used different approaches for composition.

Mockingbird_Rule_3.jpg3Q7A3035-DxO_mockingbird_on_fence.jpg3Q7A4023-DxO_mockingbird_560.jpg3Q7A5727-DxO_mockingbird.jpg3Q7A5741-DxO_mockingbird.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Jeremy.
Great story and experience behind the shots, and a great series of shots, I particularly like the 4th shot, the head and shoulders portrait. Excellent.

Cheers, Graham.

Today I went to Shamrock Nature Center in hopes of finally finding the Florida Scrub Jay. I got all the way to the water canal on the north end and found them on the other side. I also saw a Loggerhead Shrike on the other side as well! I decided to walk back to the car and drive all the way around and then walk 2.5 miles, one way to where they were. I'm glad I did, because I got great looks at both birds, and both were firsts for me. There ended up being 8 Scrub Jays, with a pair building a nest. I was lucky enough to feed acorns to a couple of them, right from my hand. He also flew up and landed on my head, very exciting!

Jeremy

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

Jeremy
Beautiful shots Jeremy, well worth the effort. I didn't get a Scrub Jay and so it's great seeing some from you.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
There are many reports of the EOS R performing well for birds, but there have been some negatives here and this negative review https://www.holgercremer.org/single...the-EOS-R-is-useless-for-Wildlife-Photography
If I get an R series, ti will be from a store that allows no quibble return so I can test it well.
Apologies for the late reply, been a bit busy of late.
I can concur with what he was experiencing with the 100-400 and the R in low light.
Was thinking at the time that the fabled firmware update might resolve the issue.
I updated firmware when it was released and managed a trip to Sungei today
Nothing much worth shooting today but the 100-400 was a lot more responsive when focusing.

Upvote 0

AaronT

CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
There were lots of Francophones in Florida, which surprised me, until I was told they were from Quebec, not France, fleeing the cold. Nice place to visit in January (and at other times, no doubt)!
You should have got some photos of them Alan. What you saw were some genuine Canadian Snow Birds! :) In case you don't know that is a widely used euphemism for Canadians fleeing the cold north to go south for the winter.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Very nice shots, Alan.
0057.gif

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I went today to chase the Red-billed Tropicbirds again (already 5 times in row...). First time in my life I was able to see it (in real) with all features in display. Photos are miserable, but it is single bird around and one has not much opportunity to get it right in photo (This is rare visitor to the Islands, in the last years present with 1, may be 2 birds/per year).
Next is the much more common Red-Tailed Tropicbird. In the close-up photo it suddenly went up from the nearby cliff - no time for zooming back (from 500mm) and the distance according the exif file was only ~12 meters. Any way one can see the white streamers in the first bird (the Red-billed...) and the red in the second Red-tailed...). Plus the red bill and heavy black markings on the back of the Red-billed (the third existing Tropic Bird is the Withe - tailed but it has yellow to pale orange bill and different markings on the back.).
DSC_5773_DxO.jpgDSC_5783_DxO.jpgDSC_5692_DxO.jpgDSC_5759_DxO.jpgThese are easy to separate and they are only 3 species in the world.
Huh, the last photo should explane why I post these pics here, not in BIF (but the real reason is that I'm not confident posting in BIF - I have to upgrade my system - it's too slow for BIF. Please don't tell this to my wife:D)!

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0
I went today to chase the Red-billed Tropicbirds again (already 5 times in row...). First time in my life I was able to see it (in real) with all features in display. Photos are miserable, but it is single bird around and one has not much opportunity to get it right in photo (This is rare visitor to the Islands, in the last years present with 1, may be 2 birds/per year).
Next is the much more common Red-Tailed Tropicbird. In the close-up photo it suddenly went up from the nearby cliff - no time for zooming back (from 500mm) and the distance according the exif file was only ~12 meters. Any way one can see the white streamers in the first bird (the Red-billed...) and the red in the second Red-tailed...). Plus the red bill and heavy black markings on the back of the Red-billed (the third existing Tropic Bird is the Withe - tailed but it has yellow to pale orange bill and different markings on the back.).
[...]
These are easy to separate and they are only 3 species in the world.
Very nice pictures of such a wonderful bird ISv! You may not be 100% happy with the quality, but I'm 100% impressed with them anyhow ;)!
Huh, the last photo should explane why I post these pics here, not in BIF (but the real reason is that I'm not confident posting in BIF - I have to upgrade my system - it's too slow for BIF. Please don't tell this to my wife:D)!
I can sympathize with you there - when I only had my 50D BiF was out of my league; with the 7DmkII at least I have 'a fighting chance'... (although your camera body already has better AF tracking than a 50D ;)). I suppose it won't do a lot of good if I tell your wife that you really need a D500 or D850 or so :p:cool:...
W.

Upvote 0