Show your Bird Portraits

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
It was not snowing today and just a few degrees below freezing so I went out to see who was at the feeders. The brown creeper was a surprise as I rarely see them..... something about being small and well camouflaged :) All shot with a 6D2 and a Tamron 150-600G2
Brown Creeper
Nuthatch
Hairy Woodpecker
Chickadee183456

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
Reddish Egret (Egretta rufescens) by Paolo Dolina, on Flickr

The Reddish Egret (Egretta rufescens) is a medium-sized heron. It is a resident breeder in Central America, The Bahamas, the Caribbean, the Gulf Coast of the United States, and Mexico. There is post-breeding dispersal to well north of the nesting range. In the past, this bird was a victim of the plume trade.

According to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, there are only 1,500 to 2,000 nesting pairs of reddish egrets in the United States — and most of these are in Texas. They are classified as "threatened" in Texas and receive special protection.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reddish_egret

Location: https://houstonaudubon.org/sanctuaries/bolivar-flats/about-bolivar-flats.html

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
The Reddish Egret (Egretta rufescens) is a medium-sized heron. It is a resident breeder in Central America, The Bahamas, the Caribbean, the Gulf Coast of the United States, and Mexico. There is post-breeding dispersal to well north of the nesting range. In the past, this bird was a victim of the plume trade.

According to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, there are only 1,500 to 2,000 nesting pairs of reddish egrets in the United States — and most of these are in Texas. They are classified as "threatened" in Texas and receive special protection.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reddish_egret

Location: https://houstonaudubon.org/sanctuaries/bolivar-flats/about-bolivar-flats.html

Good shot, dolina.That bird looks like a mash-up :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Well, I forgot to format the card so I didn't succeed in getting the birds I shot with the R and 400 X1.4 onto my computer. :(

While it's a nice camera, a big lens is not what it was designed for obviously!

Of course the resolution boost is nice and the AF is reasonable, maybe like the 6D was or a bit faster. I like the control ring adapter feature and the programability is quite versatile but kind of sad compared to the 1DX2. Button placement in some cases is inconvenient, particularly the AF-ON, which for this camera won't get used, it's just too awkward to be quick. I think it's a great back-up camera and now I have ND for the 11-24.

I, unlike some others, find the alternative button plus arrows serves fairly well as a joy stick, much like the 6D.

Jack

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
LOL
d055.gif
Nice series. I especially like the first shot.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I did shoot a bird with the R today but then my card reader wouldn't work and I got sidetracked but here is a birder's lens and camera cover I made for Costa Rica in case anyone is interested, and it's shot with the R.:)

Can you believe it; we were booked on a 737 Calgary to Toronto but luckily today they re-booked us on an earlier flight, same day!

I used waterproof tent material and just sewed a tube for the lens and cut a hole for the Jobu handle. What to do with the camera region - it's tough so I just sewed a chunk of leather that adds a bit of weight and flops over the bottom of the 1DX2 when it's slung over my shoulder. Made a second one for the R with the 70-200 and in that case I added Velcro so it fastens together around the straps.

Probably there is something better commercially but this fits the 400 really nicely183492183493

Upvote 0

Cog

Dec 6, 2013
Qatar
What equipment were you using, shooting from a canoe...?
W.
Just a camera and sometimes a tripod with a gimbal head. But I don't often have a chance to use it. Usually only if it's quiet enough or if water is low enough. I took these pics handheld because it was easier to control the boat this way in strong wind. I'm thinking about a holder that can be easily mounted but haven't found anything suitable yet.

Upvote 0