Show your Bird Portraits

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
That looks really soft to me - where's all the sharpness and detail you're so insistent the 7D Mk II can't produce, Alan?

Meanwhile, this is what my 7D Mk II (with a 500mm f/4 Mk II and 1.4x TC, handheld) looks like:

I'll stick to my 7D Mk II, I think...
Where have I written that the 7DII can't produce sharpness and detail? I have indeed written repeatedly that the 7DII is not as sharp as the 5DSR. And, I have also written repeatedly that my 5DIV is not as sharp as my 5DSR. But, I cannot recall ever having written that the 7DII can't produce sharp and detailed images because it is not something I believe and it would fly in the face of all the evidence of the many fine images produced from the 7DII, and I like to think that some of mine with my 7DII are among them. So, dig up where I have written that the 7DII can't produce sharpness and detail, and I will apologise and recant. If you can't dig it up, then you might consider doing the same.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Where have I written that the 7DII can't produce sharpness and detail? I have indeed written repeatedly that the 7DII is not as sharp as the 5DSR. And, I have also written repeatedly that my 5DIV is not as sharp as my 5DSR. But, I cannot recall ever having written that the 7DII can't produce sharp and detailed images because it is not something I believe and it would fly in the face of all the evidence of the many fine images produced from the 7DII, and I like to think that some of mine with my 7DII are among them. So, dig up where I have written that the 7DII can't produce sharpness and detail, and I will apologise and recant. If you can't dig it up, then you might consider doing the same.
My personal observation is “ it depends”

(Note that these are observations, no tests)

At the pixel level, I find that the 5D3 and 6D2 are both sharper than the 7D2, but that when you “run out of zoom” and start cropping the images, that a resampled 7D2 comes out ahead....

Also, and I have no idea why, the 7D2 AF seems to work better in a snowstorm....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
My personal observation is “ it depends”

(Note that these are observations, no tests)

At the pixel level, I find that the 5D3 and 6D2 are both sharper than the 7D2, but that when you “run out of zoom” and start cropping the images, that a resampled 7D2 comes out ahead....
Don, I am comparing the 7DII and 5DSR, which have the same pixel density and so they both have the same "zoom". In reasonable light, I used to get sharper images from a 7DII than from a 5D3 when focal length limited (which was most of the time for me). And the 7DII similarly outresolves the 5DIV.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Don, I am comparing the 7DII and 5DSR, which have the same pixel density and so they both have the same "zoom". In reasonable light, I used to get sharper images from a 7DII than from a 5D3 when focal length limited (which was most of the time for me). And the 7DII similarly outresolves the 5DIV.
Yes, I wish I had a 5DSR here with me now.... I am sitting outside with a 6D2 and a 7D2 taking pictures of birds and squirrels. The 7D2 is easily the best choice for me when focal length limited (tiny birds). The 7D2 has a reasonably aggressive AA filter, but despite that, still provides sharp images, and when resampled to the same size as a focal length limited 5D3 image, they are sharper. On paper, the 5DSR should be sharper, but I don’t have one to play with.....

As an aside, the AF on the 7D2 way outperforms the 6D2 in a snowstorm..... the 7D2 locks right on, while the 6D2 hunts a lot for focus..... now there’s a hard thing to get onto a spec sheet :)

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
What's sometimes not realised is that differences in resolution in practice often mean just differences in "reach". So, if your telephoto lens has 10% less resolution than another one of the same focal length, then if you get about 10% closer, you get the same resolution as from the better lens further away. Similarly, if your sensor has 10% larger pixels, then then you get the same resolution by being about 10% closer. Distance is all important.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Sharpness and resolution aren't everything. I am quite pleased with these two shots of a female kingfisher with a fish, taken a week apart. The top one is with the 5DSR +400mm DO II and 1.4xTC. You can see every tiny detail of the feathers and it could be blown up really large. The lower is with the 5DIV + 400mm DO II, without the TC and 30% further away (I returned with the 5DIV hoping to capture action better as it focusses faster and with a greater frame rate). The resolution with the 5DIV is down by a factor of 4, but I actually prefer its shot because I like much better the fish.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

JuanMa

Canon New F1
May 10, 2018
Spain
500px.com
Sharpness and resolution aren't everything. I am quite pleased with these two shots of a female kingfisher with a fish, taken a week apart. The top one is with the 5DSR +400mm DO II and 1.4xTC. You can see every tiny detail of the feathers and it could be blown up really large. The lower is with the 5DIV + 400mm DO II, without the TC and 30% further away (I returned with the 5DIV hoping to capture action better as it focusses faster and with a greater frame rate). The resolution with the 5DIV is down by a factor of 4, but I actually prefer its shot because I like much better the fish.

View attachment 183706View attachment 183707
Clear, sharp and beautiful colours. Well done. The first one is very impressive.

Upvote 0

RGB49

5DSR
CR Pro
Mar 31, 2019
Hi All,
I have followed this site for a few years now and have always been so impressed with the quality of photography that I see every time.
I have always been in awe at the way you people capture those amazing images and have been practising to improve my own photography. so far I have generally only been able to get static birds sharpish and am actively practising with BIF to improve.
Would be interested to hear some C& C on this one, Female Siskin.
5DSR + 100-400 MK2 + 1.4

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Hi All,
I have followed this site for a few years now and have always been so impressed with the quality of photography that I see every time.
I have always been in awe at the way you people capture those amazing images and have been practising to improve my own photography. so far I have generally only been able to get static birds sharpish and am actively practising with BIF to improve.
Would be interested to hear some C& C on this one, Female Siskin.
5DSR + 100-400 MK2 + 1.4
Lovely shot, and the colours. I also like very much the 5DSR + 100-400 MK2 + 1.4xTC. For BIF, it's easier to leave off the 1.4xTC as the focus is faster and the field of view is easier to manage, as well being able to use more AF points and higher shutter speeds.
Welcome to the thread and keep posting!

Upvote 0

RGB49

5DSR
CR Pro
Mar 31, 2019
Lovely shot, and the colours. I also like very much the 5DSR + 100-400 MK2 + 1.4xTC. For BIF, it's easier to leave off the 1.4xTC as the focus is faster and the field of view is easier to manage, as well being able to use more AF points and higher shutter speeds.
Thanks Alan, I have been a great admirer of your stunning work and it was seeing your work that prompted me to get the 5DSR , thanks also for the tip about leaving off the 1.4 TC

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Hmm i dont know how you can define sharpness with 1megapixel internet picture :p I think alan talked about 5dsr and tit was tooked 5div. We dont know how much pictures are cropped

Great pictures keith

Agree, also I would like to know the aperture and distance for judging - eye area looks fine to me...

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
And my contribution from the weekend: after ~2 years chasing and trying to figure out the behavior of these very shy birds I finally got something that I can post on this site - Red Avadavat (Amandava amandava). Got them on the edge of small town nearby - obviously much more confident in presence of humans (my best shot from before was from ~20 meters/yards, for bird 9.5-10cm in size, about 5-6 encounters of the bird).
First two are juveniles. One female after that (sorry, not good photo ~12 meters away in the midle of hot day - Hawaii). The rest are males in transition from breeding to non-breeding plumage. In breeding they are completely red with even more white dots (see the Internet).183719183720183721183722183723183724183725

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017

View attachment 183706View attachment 183707
Alan, in the second photo I don't know what I like more - the Kingfisher or the fish (great anyway!):)?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Oh, I forgot some photos that I got Saturday (the previous series are from Sunday). Just the common guys from the rain-forest... but I love them and take a shot whenever I see them! Red-billed Leiothrix and two shots of White-rumped Shama. Leiothrix is exercise at 1600 ISO - little bit too much for my camera...183728183729183730

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
That looks really soft to me - where's all the sharpness and detail you're so insistent the 7D Mk II can't produce, Alan?

Meanwhile, this is what my 7D Mk II (with a 500mm f/4 Mk II and 1.4x TC, handheld) looks like:

ACD_PN_IMG_9040_2.jpg

Stonechat, male

ACD_PN_IMG_9046_1.jpg

Stonechat, male

ACD_PN_IMG_9077_1.jpg

Stonechat, female

I'll stick to my 7D Mk II, I think...

I have challenged you to dig up where I have ever written that the 7DII can't produce sharpness and detail, and am still awaiting your reply. During the meanwhile, I'll show a similar shot to yours from my 5DIV attached to a 400mm DO II at 800mm, with a 2xTC that lowers image quality and is inferior to your 500mm f/4 + 1.4xTC. My shot of a female whinchat was taken handheld last November in Tanzania.

Upvote 0