Show your Bird Portraits

And some shots from yesterday. The first one is just to give some opportunities for size comparing (I thing the mesh of the net is same as I have seen it in Europe). Not much fun on that place... Next photos are from different place, just common birds but much more fun for me:)! The first photo of the Night heron is at ISO 400, second at ISO 1600 to gain some speed.
WELL, AFTER PUSHING "FULL IMAGE" THE FIRST PHOTO BECOME LAST
Yet another nice set of pictures!
With the conversation on lens quality and such in mind... I think it comes down to the photographer first and to the equipment only second to show consistently good shots! Speaking for myself only (obviously :p) I've never missed detail or seen softness in your pictures distracting the attention from the subject itself (y) - so please continue sharing!
W.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Trying to get some shots of a Red Admiral, who would land on a leaf and always turn exactly the wrong direction, then see another butterfly and decide to take off and chase it. After what felt like the 100th time of this song and dance, I noticed a small eye watching me from about two feet away. A Pacific Sloped Flycatcher had built a nest so well camouflaged by the leaves I didn't even see it so decided to get a shot of it. This is 20MP of the original 50MP image as I was using the 100 2.8L macro lens. After that I gave up on the Red Admiral as it kept landing within 10' of the nest every time. Even worse, it is right by the trail but unless people really stop and look, they will remain undetected.
[...]
5DSR : 100 f/2.8L IS 1/50 : f/6.3 : ISO 400
Nice 'candid' shot Ed; indeed hope the flycatcher doesn't get disturbed too much (then again, it built the nest right there next to the trail so should be used to the passers-by ;))
W.

Upvote 0
On a hike this weekend, focusing mainly on landscape photography, I came across a family of finches (common chaffinch, Fringilla Coelebs) flitting about in the brush . Quickly changed lenses and took a couple of shots (luckily I did have my birding lens with me...)
In PP I noticed it had a strange affliction on its left 'foot', anyone seen something like that before?
It didn't keep him from singing and moving around (and pretty fast at that...)

The brush (probably gorse, Ulex europaeus) was pretty dense so I had to use the opportunity as it came - just this tiny see-through...
W.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
On a hike this weekend, focusing mainly on landscape photography, I came across a family of finches (common chaffinch, Fringilla Coelebs) flitting about in the brush . Quickly changed lenses and took a couple of shots (luckily I did have my birding lens with me...)
In PP I noticed it had a strange affliction on its left 'foot', anyone seen something like that before?
It didn't keep him from singing and moving around (and pretty fast at that...)
View attachment 183811

View attachment 183812
The brush (probably gorse, Ulex europaeus) was pretty dense so I had to use the opportunity as it came - just this tiny see-through...
W.
Thanks for the kind words Wiebe! Concerning the chaffinch, if it is not just some dirt there, it looks like Avian Pox to me.

Upvote 0