Show your Bird Portraits

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
At least there is one bird in Costa Rica I didn't need a book for. What a pleasure to see these guys near Carara National Park. This was shot from the hotel and possibly are in an Avocado tree. This is an area well worth visiting with Iguanas everywhere. They'll walk right up to you but watch those tails!

JackView attachment 183953
We don't have these parrots around but the tree is common here:p! Nice shots Jack!

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
This was shot from the hotel and possibly are in an Avocado tree.

JackView attachment 183953
:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL: - OK, now I believe you are Canadian! I have friends Canadians and when they came to visit us first time here, they were standing under avocado tree and were asking "you told us you have a lot of avocado here, when we can see it?". My humble opinion is that your tree is Tropical Almond (Terminalia catappa). Very different stuff from Avocado (I like good* avocado slightly salted and with cup of Sauvignon Blank from New Zealand :giggle:).
* - good avocado means high lipids content on first place - it should not be watery. And the taste!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I second this! I know little about anything, let alone trees! :unsure:

Jack
I know the Tropical almond only because it is very common on the Island's shores (it means I'm surrounded by it:). Concerning the avocado: time to time we are hiking with my daughter into the rain forest to collect some - for free:cool:

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
A great series of photos ISv!
I wouldn't say "great" - I hate to shoot in such a contrast light, forget the very strong wind. But it's my first nest of this Bulbul (probably because they are hidden in such a mess of branches and grass. And very low - just ~3 feet (~1 meter) above the ground - always (I found this in the literature just yesterday, new knowledge!).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Seems likely - a female then? Only a male is shown in my book but even that has quite a few similarities. Thanks.
Based on little bit more research it is most probably the Rufous-backed Wren (Campylorhynchus capistratus) - only this is known for Costa Rica, other two very similar species are from Mexico.
Here copy and paste:
"Until recently considered conspecific with C. humilis and C. capistratus, but split on grounds of molecular and vocal research " :D! Your photo does not make sounds and there is no way to make a DNA analysis of photo:D...
So, in your book (depend when the book was written) it still may be under the name Rufous-naped wren...

Upvote 0