Show your Bird Portraits

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Right off the bat I have to say that my photos from yesterday are not nearly as colourful as the wonderful photos that Jack has posted. Great shots Jack! Anyway, yesterday I got my first shots of a bald eagle in Ontario, just a bit north of Thamesville. The nest shot is a tight crop and the next 2 are 100% crops. The last is a shot from my cell phone from alongside the camera. The nest was a bit over 100 yards away. Shot with a 5DsR, 100-400L with a 1.4 TC. ISO 800 at F9.5, on tripod.
That 5DSR is a winner for these long distance shots. The naysayers don't know what they are missing! I love Junior.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
It was my birthday two days ago, a most beautiful spring day, about 23 oC, and I was serenaded by small songbirds in my garden. I now have a chiffchaff that starts the dawn chorus accompanied by various tits and other birds who are clearly heard but not seen in the high trees and bushes. But, I caught this pair with the 5DSR at 560mm. Not the greatest of shots but they are mementos.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Yes, Junior is at the ugly swan stage. I am pleasantly surprised how good the 100% crops are. The 100-400L and 1.4 TC are Ver 1.
You are very lucky to have such a sharp copy of the original 100-400mm. The good ones were very good. I had a soft copy and could never get a sharp image unless close up and filling the frame.

Upvote 0
It was my birthday two days ago, a most beautiful spring day, about 23 oC, and I was serenaded by small songbirds in my garden. I now have a chiffchaff that starts the dawn chorus accompanied by various tits and other birds who are clearly heard but not seen in the high trees and bushes. But, I caught this pair with the 5DSR at 560mm. Not the greatest of shots but they are mementos.
Nice capture of the great Tit - just when it is singing :). Makes a person feel happy just seeing it
W.

Upvote 0
Hey Wiebe, match this one from Costa Rica. A (not) very raree bird indeed. And tasty too.

Jack
Hi Jack, pity you didn't post this one last week - just had a holiday and there was a whole flock of chickens and roosters running around the holiday let... I just didn't take any pictures of them :confused:;). So - sorry but can't match yours :D
W.

Upvote 0
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Beautiful shot, jprusa.
d055.gif

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
As I go through my shots, the biggest disappointment is the number that are poorly/back lit since light is needed to bring out detail and the high ISOs mask the detail with noise. Sometimes I was after a flight or movement and had the shutter higher but other times the shutter was low maybe too low and the ISO was still up there in the 4-6400 range. Such is life.

Jack

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0