Show your Bird Portraits

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
And I'm ready to sleep:) - long day today. I promise I will try tomorrow (not sure I can succeed!) Did you say " disguise" - that is perfect one, any time I fail to identify a bird I'm going to use it (no "TM" next to your original posting :D!) Nice photo BTW and that is what makes the music! (Hey, is it a branch of Plumeria there?)

Of course I wouldn't want you to lose sleep over it, but if you're like me you just may be dreaming about it (or having nightmares). Checking the date it would have been shot in the Nuevo Arenal area. In my book I saw a couple that seemed vaguely similar but also strikingly different - Large-footed Finch??:unsure::confused: Plumeria, sure OK, whatever, there was lots of it in the area.

I believe this Summer Tanager is making up his/her mind to be male.

Fortunately there is a huge amount of yard work to do otherwise I'd be downright depressed about the photographic opportunities here at home! :( I hope my holiday shots aren't making others (Canadians) feel depressed!:cry:

Jack

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Of course I wouldn't want you to lose sleep over it, but if you're like me you just may be dreaming about it (or having nightmares). Checking the date it would have been shot in the Nuevo Arenal area. In my book I saw a couple that seemed vaguely similar but also strikingly different - Large-footed Finch??:unsure::confused: Plumeria, sure OK, whatever, there was lots of it in the area.

I believe this Summer Tanager is making up his/her mind to be male.

Fortunately there is a huge amount of yard work to do otherwise I'd be downright depressed about the photographic opportunities here at home! :( I hope my holiday shots aren't making others (Canadians) feel depressed!:cry:

Jack

View attachment 184089
In your shoes I would check for the Palm Tanager (Thraupis palmarum) instead of Large-footed finch...
Very nice photo!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
In your shoes I would check for the Palm Tanager (Thraupis palmarum) instead of Large-footed finch...
Very nice photo!
Thanks, as usual I'd say you're right. My bird is definitely disguized pretty well relative to various samples though so I don't feel to bad in failing. My book shows a much lighter version.

Rufous-collared Sparrow

Jack

Attachments

• Rufous-collard Sparrow_s_38775.JPG
    Rufous-collard Sparrow_s_38775.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 79
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Western meadow lark: I find this one of the more difficult birds to photograph. I am seldom able to get close enough to get any kind of shot. I took these yesterday at quite a distance with a 7DMII + Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary lens zoomed to 600. I had to crop heavily in post. Sometimes one has to go with what one has and be happy with
it.184096184097

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0