Show your Bird Portraits

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
This one got my attention because of the very rich and perfect plumage. At home I start thinking: "why I actually ignore this bird if it is naturalized here (brought to the islands in 1860) and there are wild, self-sufficient and artificially "controlled" populations on few different points of the Island?". One of them - in Koko Crater was actually totally killed some years ago. Must be because it's deeply nailed in my European mind that they belong to Zoo or some parks and somebody have to take care of them wintertime. Very different here! Low quality (20 in DXO PL) files - to smuggle them here :)!184134184135184136

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Every time I take new photo of baby White Tern I say myself "this should be the last - you collected plenty of them". And still taking new photos :D! But they are molting so different and look so "individual" (like the "punk" in the next pics)... I'm always like "this one and no more":rolleyes:?184141184142

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
The hummingbirds were dazzling wherever we went. This Violet Sabrewing was common in the Turialba region. 1/640 at 800 mm so a little lacking in detail.View attachment 184150

Jack
Great shot Jack! If you mean the detail in the wings -forget it: you got the motion and I think I like it better this way.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I'm finally getting the ID of the hummingbirds sorted out. Some have have M/F the same, others not, not to mention local variations and colour differences due to lighting or high ISO noise or poses that hide features. Ugh.
White-throated Mountain-gem Hummingbird.
Purple-throated Mountain-gem Hummingbird - female so no purple throat.
Green Violet-ear Hummingbird.

Jack

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I'm finally getting the ID of the hummingbirds sorted out. Some have have M/F the same, others not, not to mention local variations and colour differences due to lighting or high ISO noise or poses that hide features. Ugh.
White-throated Mountain-gem Hummingbird.
Purple-throated Mountain-gem Hummingbird - female so no purple throat.
Green Violet-ear Hummingbird.

Jack
These are great shots, and what's really nice that they are in the wild and not eating from a plastic feeder.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The hummingbirds were dazzling wherever we went. This Violet Sabrewing was common in the Turialba region. 1/640 at 800 mm so a little lacking in detail.

Jack
Great picture Jack, the colours come out so well; lighting is very nice - in short, excellent - and you're forgiven any (íf any... ;)) lack of detail :cool:(y)
W.

Upvote 0