Show your Bird Portraits

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Thanks guys. Alan, I hate to disappoint you but it's not too "wild" where these were taken - the beautiful extensive grounds of the place we stayed in San Gerardo de Dota, which is far down in a lovely valley after a horrid 30 minute drive down the mountainside. The best part of our trip; cool at night needing some bedding and quite warm most days but prone to afternoon mists. However, no plastic feeders since there were far too many flowers!;)

So when are you going?

Ringed Kingfisher. Mostly luck and quite cropped. Tarcoles river (crocodile
country)

Jack

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Thanks guys. Alan, I hate to disappoint you but it's not too "wild" where these were taken - the beautiful extensive grounds of the place we stayed in San Gerardo de Dota, which is far down in a lovely valley after a horrid 30 minute drive down the mountainside. The best part of our trip; cool at night needing some bedding and quite warm most days but prone to afternoon mists. However, no plastic feeders since there were far too many flowers!;)

So when are you going?

country)

Jack
View attachment 184185View attachment 184186

How did you like the Coffee in Dota? :D
Btw, your photos are getting more and more exciting!

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017

So when are you going?

country)

Jack
View attachment 184185View attachment 184186
The luck is going after people with camera in their hands... Oh, well - you have to know how to use real camera, I'm switching to my cellphone;)!

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
How did you like the Coffee in Dota? :D
Btw, your photos are getting more and more exciting!

Oh oh, we're not coffee drinkers but should have tried some considering the reputation. We stayed at Hotel de Montana Suria and enjoyed their meals. I noted that the beef and chicken was first rate. I'm afraid the excitement will die since I've posted the better ones!:cry: However, if we get to go back I promise to do better because I'd spend more time in fewer places.

A friendly resident choped us a large chunk of sugar cane so we experienced chewing that, at least.

Thanks everyone for the likes, but if you've been there you know the birds deserve all the credit. In country locations I felt safe walking around with my gear but didn't in the cities. I was worn out from many miles packing the 1DX2 and 400 DO II but no complaints since it was so much fun.

Here's a very common Blue-gray Tanager from the Arenal area184190.

Jack

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
The luck is going after people with camera in their hands... Oh, well - you have to know how to use real camera, I'm switching to my cellphone;)!

ISv, you've lost me about the cell phone. Are you saying you'd go but not with your good gear? I was worried about that but finally decided I'd have such regrets doing so. Getting it on the plane was a concern that didn't materialize so now I have a better idea on that front but where people are poor in big cities or hot spots would really concern me - I checked to see if my insurance covered me (camera not life).;)

Jack

Upvote 0
Oh oh, we're not coffee drinkers but should have tried some considering the reputation. We stayed at Hotel de Montana Suria and enjoyed their meals. I noted that the beef and chicken was first rate. I'm afraid the excitement will die since I've posted the better ones!:cry: However, if we get to go back I promise to do better because I'd spend more time in fewer places.

A friendly resident choped us a large chunk of sugar cane so we experienced chewing that, at least.

Thanks everyone for the likes, but if you've been there you know the birds deserve all the credit. In country locations I felt safe walking around with my gear but didn't in the cities. I was worn out from many miles packing the 1DX2 and 400 DO II but no complaints since it was so much fun.

Here's a very common Blue-gray Tanager from the Arenal areaView attachment 184190.

Jack

This little bird is so beautiful. Very clear shot! Thanks for sharing such a wonderful pic!

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
This little bird is so beautiful. Very clear shot! Thanks for sharing such a wonderful pic!

Thanks as always. If I thought the beauty of the bird wouldn't be "enjoyed" there would be no reason to post. Being there in person was a treat but for me the memory is so fleeting so I really relish being able to incorporate such photos into my screen saver display. Then every day is a holiday.:)

Jack

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Yes, Canada sure has it's fair share of those guys, especially in public areas!;) Nice to see you have lots of birds to shoot these days! I'm not faring so well.
This, with a 24mm lens as I skedaddled.:unsure:

Jack
We have far too many Canadian Geese too. I wish we could repatriate them.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0