Show your Bird Portraits

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
ISV, HELP! The beak? The coloration doesn't align with what I have in my book.View attachment 184592

Jack
I would suggest young female Red-legged Honey creeper (Cyanerpes cyaneus). The legs of the immature birds are brown, adults are with red legs.
Oh, if you have only male's image in your book - they are with azure-blue plumage (to confuse the ID :p).
Concerning the beak - typical for honey creepers. I hope I'm not confused by this one: it seems to have more gray on the upper-parts but it could be because of the immaturity...

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I would suggest young female Red-legged Honey creeper (Cyanerpes cyaneus). The legs of the immature birds are brown, adults are with red legs.
Oh, if you have only male's image in your book - they are with azure-blue plumage (to confuse the ID :p).
Concerning the beak - typical for honey creepers. I hope I'm not confused by this one: it seems to have more gray on the upper-parts but it could be because of the immaturity...

Well it seems like a reasonable guess but I haven't been able to really confirm it. Thanks as always.

Jack

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Search the Internet for pictures of that species. See this page for example: https://www.photobee1blog.com/2012/07/honeycreepers-of-costa-rica/
In Costa Rica they have 2 more honey creepers but only the females of the Green Honey creeper are similar. They don't have the pale supercillium above the eyes, instead they have yellow on the beak, especially on the lower mandible.

Upvote 0