Show your Bird Portraits

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
The male Painted Bunting from Texas. Same settings as female.
I've been away from this thread for a while. View attachment 184692 I really enjoy seeing great bird photos from all around the world!
Really beautiful (both, the birds and the execution of the photos)!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
This one seems to be Red-winged Blackbird. But I have never seen any with this feather pattern and this angry!
EOS-R with Sigma 60-600mm, @600mm, f/6.3, ISO1000.
Now you have had the 60-600mm sigmonster lens longer, what are your thoughts on its performance? There is little on the web, and it does have an intriguing focal length range.

Upvote 0
Female (or maybe immature male) Painted Bunting in north-central Texas. (F 7.1, 1/500, ISO 1000, Canon 100-400 ii at 400 mm. 5D iv.)View attachment 184690
Beautiful shots, I look forward to their return every year. It is really hard to tell the difference at this stage, but if you see him singing that's a give aways.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Now you have had the 60-600mm sigmonster lens longer, what are your thoughts on its performance? There is little on the web, and it does have an intriguing focal length range.
The copy that I have borrowed is very good. On 600mm it is a tad sharper than 60mm. During the past 3 weeks on EOS-R the AF has been fast and consistent and keeper rate has been good and comparable to EF 100-400 LII for slow moving birds. For BIF, the combo struggles to consistently get good shots. There is an additional switch mode to override AF and stay there, but I have not used it yet. Perhaps it is more useful for BIF. Using it handheld is ok because of the balance of the lens as it is not front heavy. To carry, It fits into LowePro 450AW backpack. The 60-600mm range allows me to take this as the only lens for a day trip.
I'll have it for one more week and If you need any specific test please let me know.
Below is another shot with this lens @510mm, f/7.1, ISO 1250, handheld. Downy Woodpecker.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Worked so hard yesterday fork digging a garden that I'm zonked. IOW it's an excuse to be back to the thread with a bird doing what its name suggests - the Slaty Flower-piercer; a good illustration although not the best shot.

Oh, and I might as well throw in another hummer. White-throated Mountain-gem.

Jack

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I don't really shoot birds but couldn't resist this one of a brown boobie shot a couple of days ago. With an iPad...View attachment 184709

I have never seen booby from so close. There are 3 species nesting on tiny islets around Oahu but all these are preserved territories, you are not suppose to land there. Otherwise boobies are very easy to approach (the reason for the name I think). My best photo of Brown Booby according to the exif file is taken from 133.35 meters (obviously the infinity point of the lens: it says the same even if I take a photo of the nearby island miles away...).
So, the light is basic but the distance to the object matters too (here I mean the small letters text under your photo);)!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0