Show your Bird Portraits

jmeyer

http://www.jeremymeyer.photography
CR Pro
Dec 11, 2014
Wisconsin
jeremymeyer.photography
Song sparrow (I believe, not being the sharpest bird identifier on the block)

This is a Lincoln's Sparrow. Nice shot at an otherwise, sulky sparrow. Usually have to spend some time to get them to come out into the open.

Jeremy

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Alan.
Beautiful shots, we have a few nesting locally, they are under real threat from stupid dog owners! There are signs at every access point to the land, Ground nesting birds dogs on a lead or under close control. I have shots of dogs racing through the area not just off the lead, not in close control, but so manic in their racing around that they are a nuisance to everything there..
Try saying anything! It is not worth the effort or abuse you will receive! And I say all this as a dog owner that walks their dog on a lead.
The problem is a lack of anyone in authority to enforce the rules, a real problem.

Cheers, Graham.
Sorry for the rant.

Skylark numbers have dramatically declined and the bird is on the red list as endangered. We have a local meadow where they are active, fortunately. They live hidden on the ground, and soar, hover and sing. Here are some more shots, from the 400 DO II `+ 1.4xTC on the 5DSR. The one on the wing is actually in flight and not hovering, showing once again the 5DSR is pretty competent for BIF.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Hi Alan.
Beautiful shots, we have a few nesting locally, they are under real threat from stupid dog owners! There are signs at every access point to the land, Ground nesting birds dogs on a lead or under close control. I have shots of dogs racing through the area not just off the lead, not in close control, but so manic in their racing around that they are a nuisance to everything there..
Try saying anything! It is not worth the effort or abuse you will receive! And I say all this as a dog owner that walks their dog on a lead.
The problem is a lack of anyone in authority to enforce the rules, a real problem.

Cheers, Graham.
Sorry for the rant.
Graham, on the whole the local dog owners are of the better sort. But, even so, dogs not on leads are problematic. Did you hear the good news today that the bird population has increased more than 3 fold on Lundy since the National Trust eliminated the rats from the island, against the objections from animal rights activists?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
That and the 'courtship shots are great, Hector.
I will be off to shoot gannets tomorrow on the E coast of England so hopefully will get something approaching the quality here
Mike, you probably know already that RSPB Bempton Cliffs near Bridlington is fantastic for Gannets.

Upvote 0
First try with the Bigma 60-600mm under non ideal conditions...
Hand held on 7DII, 1/200s f/6.3 (wide open) at 600mm, ISO 1250; about 12 m distance, 5-6m high in the tree
Most of the shots were suffering from motion blur... due to the bird moving ;)
Great spotted woodpecker (male) revisiting the nest made last year:
Despite the conditions, I'm quite impressed with the lens quality - on 7DII at least better result than 100-400 with TC!
W.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Excellent shots Alan, very sharp... guessing: 400mm DO (w/wo TC?)
W.
I'm guessing 100-400. Maybe with a 1.4 TC.
AaronT got it right. The wing outstretched is without the TC. I’m going back with the DO! It is even sharper, slightly so native but more so with the TC. But, will it make a real difference? I am more than happy with those shots.

The TC picked out slightly more detail but I got better shots where there was movement by removing the TC and upping the speed.

Upvote 0