Show your Bird Portraits

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
One of my disappointments in moving from the EF300 2.8 II to the EF 400 DO II was the MFD for the very uses suggested here. I'm toying with getting the 100 -400 but for my typical shooting it doesn't sub well for the DO (I'm at 800 a lot). That might be different if I had a high resolution sensor and so I wait and wonder what my next move will be. Now if $$ wasn't an issue ...

Jack

Upvote 0
I haven't been on the forum for awhile and have enjoyed all the beautiful birds everyone has shown us. I have a candidate for the ugliest bird. A Red-winged Blackbird.View attachment 185285
He looks like he has a bad case of mites, Poor guy!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Another ID question. Does anybody know what bird this is? I took the photo in the Niagara Falls aviary but forgot to look up the name. The bird is a real beauty. Thanks!
Nice bird and Click nailed the ID ((y))!
Here I have photos of the Red-crested Turaco (from the aviary of the local zoo). They are different genera but look similar...185288185289

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Upvote 0
Since we don't seem to have too many photos of the worlds smartest birds I thought I'd offer this one.:)

And the second is not too dumb at least when it comes to stealing food, either.;)

Jack

A cousin of those smart birds here!
Black-headed gull

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

AaronT

CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Wow, ugly wasn't my first reaction it was sad. Must be a hen pecked husband. ;) Do you know what's happening to the bird?

Jack
My first thought was it's Fugly. I came up with this on a site called Bird Watch.
"Birds molt their feathers throughout the year, and one possible explanation for baldness is that an abnormal molt occurs on some birds, causing them to lose all of their head feathers at once. The birds may be juveniles undergoing their first prebasic molt.
It’s also possible that feather mites or lice may cause baldness. The condition has not been studied closely, but fortunately, new feathers grow in within a few weeks."

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Since we don't seem to have too many photos of the worlds smartest birds I thought I'd offer this one.:)

And the second is not too dumb at least when it comes to stealing food, either.;)

Jack

I totally agree with you.

Nice pictures, Jack. I especially like the second one.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Jack.
Sadly no, it is a somewhat second hand pre loved MK 1 IS version, it is only new to me! :) For several birthdays and Christmas’s I have been asked what I would like, to which I replied a 600mm f/4 L.
This years birthday (52nd) I commented that I would like one before I’m too old and decrepit to lug it around and most surprisingly one materialised! :oops: :ROFLMAO:

Cheers, Graham.

A new 600!! WOW.

Jack

Upvote 0