Nice shots, Jeff.
d055.gif

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Very interesting reading on Art Morris's BirdsAsArt blog about his trip to the Farne Islands. He had thought of selling his Sony gear as he hates so much about it. But, he has found that his Nikon D850 can't AF well enough for Puffins flying towards him and doesn't keep the face in focus as the bird gets close. (I had no problem with the 5DIV). But he finds the A9 does work well. So he has been using that for BIF and the Sony A7RIII for static shots (it sucks for BIF because of the AF and blackout). He also has real problems with his mirrorless because of dust on the sensors.

He posted one of his shots on Staple Island from the one place where you can get a black background around the bird. My wife seems to have stumbled on this in one of hers of two Guillemots.

3Q7A1117-DxO_kittiwakes.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Very interesting reading on Art Morris's BirdsAsArt blog about his trip to the Farne Islands. He had thought of selling his Sony gear as he hates so much about it. But, he has found that his Nikon D850 can't AF well enough for Puffins flying towards him and doesn't keep the face in focus as the bird gets close. (I had no problem with the 5DIV). But he finds the A9 does work well. So he has been using that for BIF and the Sony A7RIII for static shots (it sucks for BIF because of the AF and blackout). He also has real problems with his mirrorless because of dust on the sensors.

He posted one of his shots on Staple Island from the one place where you can get a black background around the bird. My wife seems to have stumbled on this in one of hers of two Guillemots.

View attachment 185567
How well I remember him ranting about sensor dirt on the 1DX2 and displaying disgust at Canon for not giving him a new one and then shortly thereafter he sold it all... and I quit going to the site, partly because of the repetition of birds and not being able to handle some of the commentary and pickiness (by my standards that is).

Once in a blue moon I notice a speck in a photo and I just delete it. PBD smartened me up relative to fretting excessively about things that 99% of the time are not visible. However, to each his own.

Jack

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
How well I remember him ranting about sensor dirt on the 1DX2 and displaying disgust at Canon for not giving him a new one and then shortly thereafter he sold it all... and I quit going to the site, partly because of the repetition of birds and not being able to handle some of the commentary and pickiness (by my standards that is).

Once in a blue moon I notice a speck in a photo and I just delete it. PBD smartened me up relative to fretting excessively about things that 99% of the time are not visible. However, to each his own.

Jack
Your R has the shutter to stop dust. I hope they continue with it with the new models. How are you finding the R for BIF?

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Your R has the shutter to stop dust. I hope they continue with it with the new models. How are you finding the R for BIF?
Alan, my R was offered to my daughter to use in Costa Rica and she wouldn't part with it. So all I have is two adapters.:( I didn't even get to shoot it once we were there; since she can't handle my set-up, we never swapped. From what she showed me constantly on her camera I was always impressed but other than hummingbirds she didn't do too many BIF. Never the less, she was shooting 70-200 X1.4 and was nailing focus on birds when I thought there would be misses, so overall we were pretty impressed. I'm waiting for the upscale or pro model or whatever you want to call it. The EF to R with ND filter is a big one for me with the 11-24. She used that for waterfalls and the R with that is sooo handy.

Jack

Upvote 0