Show your Bird Portraits

Jan 29, 2011
Don't often post here because I am not a bird photographer but this guy/girl was in my backyard today. It has been a regular visitor for a few months and isn't shy at all, I had to change the focus limiter to under 2.5m and it was completely unfazed.

Mind you years ago a falconer told me the expression 'fed up' came from birds of prey and their abject boredom after they had eaten, they were 'fed up';this one had just eaten a snake and truly seemed fed up!

1DX MkII, 300 f2.8 IS, f3.2, 1/1250, iso 800. Uncropped.

Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Don't often post here because I am not a bird photographer but this guy/girl was in my backyard today. It has been a regular visitor for a few months and isn't shy at all, I had to change the focus limiter to under 2.5m and it was completely unfazed.

Mind you years ago a falconer told me the expression 'fed up' came from birds of prey and their abject boredom after they had eaten, they were 'fed up';this one had just eaten a snake and truly seemed fed up!

1DX MkII, 300 f2.8 IS, f3.2, 1/1250, iso 800. Uncropped.

Sorry, I have to follow up statements I find interesting but I don't really know. I have now googled and learned "Fed up" is used in falconry but it didn't mean "bored" as its use today, it simply meant sated with food - see https://wordhistories.net/2016/11/28/fed-up/ The modern falconers are using the modern meaning and not the traditional one.
Thanks for drawing this to our attention as I have learned something new.
Your problem with focussing so close up is the reason I am taking a zoom with me for my next trip rather than a prime, there's too little dof that close, less than 10 cm and framing is so tight. Anyway, it's a nice shot.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Beautiful shot, PBD. Well done.
d055.gif

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Alan, maybe it's just Canadian, but "fed up" means can't tolerate it anymore. We use fed up as being borderline angry so it's a new one on me relative to boredom. Typical would be parent to child: I'm fed up with the untidiness of your room. No matter, I too am always interested in English usage.

Jack

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Sorry, I have to follow up statements I find interesting but I don't really know. I have now googled and learned "Fed up" is used in falconry but it didn't mean "bored" as its use today, it simply meant sated with food - see https://wordhistories.net/2016/11/28/fed-up/ The modern falconers are using the modern meaning and not the traditional one.
Thanks for drawing this to our attention as I have learned something new.
Your problem with focussing so close up is the reason I am taking a zoom with me for my next trip rather than a prime, there's too little dof that close, less than 10 cm and framing is so tight. Anyway, it's a nice shot.
Alan,

I love the diversions threads go on, to me it is what a forum is all about especially if we can learn anything new or be amused by it.

As for the lack of DOF, obviously I had the choice to greatly reduce the shutter speed for more dof but was more interested in a 'portrait' style image rather than a species record type of image, I was trying for some of the character and mood the bird was displaying.

Maybe this one is better? Almost total disinterest with a side of mild distain :) (The chain is for a bird feeder, one of several that hang in that tree.)

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Alan, maybe it's just Canadian, but "fed up" means can't tolerate it anymore. We use fed up as being borderline angry so it's a new one on me relative to boredom. Typical would be parent to child: I'm fed up with the untidiness of your room. No matter, I too am always interested in English usage.

Jack
Jack, that’s the current usage here as well. What that historical article did was to trace the different meanings of the term and how those dealing in the past with animals etc had a different meaning.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

digigal

Traveling the world one step at a time.
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014
That’s a fairly rare shot. The only razorbills I saw with fish were in flight in the far distance. Well done.
All the others I saw with fish were in flight too. This one was the only one that I saw that landed (luckily near me) for just long enough for me to grab about 8 shots of him before he took off again. This was from Grimsey Is. Great place to spend several days to a week photographing or just walking the paths and birdwatching.
Catherine

Upvote 0